Should have been a Vet

bumpkin 22:04 27 Jun 2014

New vet in town. Our dog was unwell so asked my daughter to take it to the vet. The fee is £28 for a 10minute "consultation" plus a few extras so I gave her £80 thinking that would be plenty but no £301.

Mr Mistoffelees 22:34 27 Jun 2014

Vets are like dentists, doctors and solicitors, you never see a skint one.

rdave13 22:46 27 Jun 2014

You should have had the RSPCA to put it "down". They're good that way, and spent the £301 on a brand new model.

bremner 07:55 28 Jun 2014

Vet suicides are 4 times the national average and twice that of doctors and dentists. Add a minimum 5 years to qualify and the fact that many work for large companies and are salaried - not all are rolling in cash.

Quickbeam 08:27 28 Jun 2014

There's a lot of variation between vets on how they charge.

I changed a few years ago when it occurred to me that whatever the problem was, the treatment from that vet was 3x visits with injections and a course of pills over a week or so and a final visit to sign off with a bill of around £250.

The new vet treated for the same condition with one visit, pills if needed and only return if the condition wasn't cleared.

The difference? The original vet knew I was insured, the new one didn't. And as the bill was below the £80 policy excess and didn't need to make a claim requiring his signature.

The new vet is still unaware that I'm insured, and I've never had a bill above the excess for the last 5 years...

Woolwell 10:29 28 Jun 2014

PDSA only treat for free for those on benefits.

Woolwell 10:31 28 Jun 2014

Vets don't normally treat for free but some do run their own "insurance" type scheme whereby you can pay in every month.

SparkyJack 13:39 28 Jun 2014

When a vet/dentist/u lawyer submit a bill it includes the 'back office/clinic team and premises as well plus in the case of vets/dentists medical supplies, and VAT. So no surprises there.

bumpkin 14:49 28 Jun 2014

Sparky Jack, I realise that there are overheads but the previous vet working from the same premises must have had similar costs.

spuds 16:52 28 Jun 2014

Its a case of paying the 'going rate', which you either accept or not. Over the past few years, a number of the older well known reputable practices might have been bought out by group practices, but still retain their old name. You may find that some of the vets at those practices are not all that well paid, even though the practice charges what some people would consider more than expected.

Over the years we have changed vet practices three times, mainly due to minor disagreements on fees and services. What I would suggest is anyone who have animals that require regular medication, is to see if their vet practice is willing to provide prescriptions. We pay £4.95 per prescription, but some vets might attempt to charge £17.00 plus for a 'consultation' fee for issuing prescriptions. We manage to save anything upto 70% on some medication going direct to the same pharmacy company's the vets use.

Animal insurance as already been mentioned, but always check what is being offered, because some of the policies do vary considerably, depending on treatment (especially long term) and age of animal. Nothing like feeling very confident in telling the vet practice to go ahead, then finding a shortfall when the invoice is produced, because you hadn't read or understood the small print.

Another point to consider is emergency treatment, because its now becoming more the normal that a number of vet practices use 'outside' sources for 24/7 treatment, and not like the old days of 'in-house- provisions. Some people only realise this when they phone the after hour service, then find that they are redirected via a recorded message, or need to do an unplanned extra long journey, especially if its late at night or the early hours of the morning. Some taxi firms will not take dogs unless they are registered for disabled person use.

rdave13 17:42 28 Jun 2014

MechKB 2 Tesco do an Accident & Injury Pet Insurance for £4 per month. Doesn't cover illnesses, though, and I have been considering it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?