should get their act together first...

Seth Haniel 08:37 05 Sep 2007

All UK 'must be on DNA database'
A judge calls for the entire population of the UK and all visitors to be placed on the national DNA database.

What good would it do - as at the moment they let all villains - druggies etc, off - even when caught with the smoking gun

Think the Judges need a good shake up before they could be trusted with this type of 'Big Brother tactic'

Mike D 08:52 05 Sep 2007

My main concern is that, like the DVLA database, anyone who can make a "genuine" claim (as clamping companies can) to need the information can buy the information. What safeguards will there be, for example, to prevent insurance companies using this information to find even more ways to avoid paying out? One of the problems with these ideas is that they get hijacked by big business interests and to hell with civil liberties. I wouldn't have any objection if it was purely used for criminal investigations, but ...

Mike

Seth Haniel 09:09 05 Sep 2007

Some 183 crimes went undetected for up to 11 years because of Home Office failings over DNA samples.
They included one paedophile offence, three robberies, nine burglaries, 19 drugs offences and 62 thefts.

More than 26,000 DNA profiles were not added to the archive between 1995 and 2004, the National DNA Database's annual report disclosed.

Later investigation of these led to 85 suspects being identified for 183 crimes, a Home Office spokesman said

spuds 12:56 05 Sep 2007

One of my pet hates is when statistics are displayed and discussed as a gospel amongst other things, especially when governments or authorities (national-local)use them to raise an awareness to some political point. Was it not all that long ago, when the Home Office were distributing statistics about 'illegals', then a few weeks later admitting that the didn't know how many illegals were roaming around the UK, or what they were doing.Many thousands of pounds were spent on that useless exercise.

Obtaining DNA for a database is very easy, and this could be done from birth. But to make it truly successful, every country in the world would have to undertake this measure. Poor third world countries would have a serious problem with this, unless help was available from richer nations. Taking all the pro's and con's into consideration, then the event is a non-starter.

Personally I have no objection to DNA, providing 100% safeguards are guaranteed, and this can never happen, if financial or dubious rewards are involved.

DrScott 13:41 05 Sep 2007

to hear a judge requesting such a database to be created. Unfortunately, many members of society no longer trust the government and the idea that some department might hold such information 'securely' sends a rather large shiver down my spine.

Some of you may be aware that during the recent medical application fiasco, all of the applicants had their full personal details freely available on the internet with no kind of encryption or security in place.

I, for one, have no faith whatsoever.

Curio 14:16 05 Sep 2007

Trouble is, if a DNA sample is allegedly yours and you know it is not, you have to prove your innocence.

g0nvs 14:30 05 Sep 2007

Bring it on, ASAP.

Seth Haniel 14:34 05 Sep 2007

a case the other year were an innocent person was arrested because DNA found at the crime scene matched theirs - but it was from a vase that innocent person sold at a car boot sale months before that had the DNA on

-

And Lord Justice Sedley dismissed as "junk science" the medical evidence relied on by the two mothers to support their case that vaccination was dangerous and unnecessary.
click here

Seth Haniel 16:05 05 Sep 2007
  DrScott 16:27 05 Sep 2007

against MMR is 'junk science'. Dr Wakefield is currently being investigated by the GMC.

amonra 19:05 05 Sep 2007

I agree with DrScott, how secure is secure ? How many times recently have various "secure" databases been hacked, and who decides which dept. is allowed to access this confidential information ? A few years down the line what is stopping the insurance companies making a case to access the data so that they can "refine" their life assurances policies ?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?