should G.B. follow the czechs punishments

sunnystaines 14:38 05 Feb 2009

click here

should offenders in the uk be given reduced sentence option if they agree to the option of a chemical lop

oresome 14:48 05 Feb 2009

No.

It's difficult to see how offenders can freely make a decision if there are conditions attached.

However, accepting chemical castration may mean that the parole board consider that the offender no longer poses such a threat to society and can be released early.

wee eddie 15:47 05 Feb 2009

I'm not sure that Malcolm Bradbury was prescient or not, but there is quite a lot of literature on the effectiveness, or otherwise, of such treatment and most is negative. Except that from the Drug Companies selling the Products that will be used.

laurie53 19:39 05 Feb 2009

Why chemical?

Ideally should be done with a rusty blade and no anesthetic.

However, to be a bit serious, it could be argued that such offences, particularly where repeated, are a mental disorder and should be treated as such.

Forum Editor 23:30 05 Feb 2009

"..it could be argued that such offences, particularly where repeated, are a mental disorder and should be treated as such."

Go on then, argue that such offences are a mental disorder, and should be treated as such.

laurie53 10:18 06 Feb 2009

I certainly do not think so, as the first part of my post would suggest.

I am simply pointing out, perhaps badly, that there is such a body of thought.

sunnystaines 17:45 06 Feb 2009

at least a rare chance of reoffending on release / parole.

Pineman100 17:56 06 Feb 2009

... or even Anthony Burgess?

Forum Editor 18:08 06 Feb 2009

I see. Well the first part of your post isn't a serious proposition, as you acknowledged, but neither - in my opinion - is it really going to be possible to make the mental disorder thing work.

It really comes down to how you define a mental disorder in the end. I might think that one of my colleagues is being obsessive about the way she cleans her keyboard ten times a day, but is she suffering from a mental disorder? She says not, but others may disagree. Likewise, a man who abuses young children might try to claim that the children like what he does, but we 'normal' people say that's plainly a ludicrous claim. Is the abuser therefore suffering from a mental disorder? His mind isn't that of a normal person, certainly, but he knows what he's doing is a criminal offence, and I suspect he knows his victims do not like what he does, yet he goes ahead. To my mind he is a criminal like other criminals - those who rape, for instance, in that he does something knowing it to be wrong, and he tries to avoid detection. That isn't the behaviour of a mentally ill person, it's the behaviour of a perverted criminal, and he should pay the penalty that the law has laid down, and pay it in an ordinary prison.

laurie53 20:45 06 Feb 2009

I couldn't agree more.

However, there are those who do not. I repeat, I am not one of them.

While my first proposition was, as you say, not serious, I do believe that rape should carry a mandatory life sentence, because that is what the victim gets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?