Should the congestion charge be raised

johndere 19:17 24 Aug 2006

Ken Livingston is thinking of upping the congestion charge to £10, is this fair?

Jackcoms 19:47 24 Aug 2006

"is this fair?"

Probably not, if you have to regularly drive into the Congestion zone.

For those of us who don't, it could be £1,000 for all I care.

This is a rather local (to London) problem and on a global Forum is probably of little or no interest to most members.

oresome 22:21 24 Aug 2006

Much to the annoyance of my family, I'm always saying "life isn't fair" when they feel hard done by.

Congestion charges are likely to creep in to all our major cities in the near future simply to force a change of habit and allow free movement for those that can afford it.

I've been working in my local city centre today at three locations and had to pay a totsl of £12 for on street parking. Except for work, I do not visit the city centre from one year to the next, so they succeeded in changing my habits many years ago.

realist 22:53 24 Aug 2006

I think it should be waived (or at least reduced)for all cars with emissions below a certain level, not just electric vehicles and the Prius.

DrScott 23:09 24 Aug 2006

but no. It shouldn't be raised.

Perhaps if Ken actually invested the money in making traffic flow through London more effectively, rather than creating congestion with absurd traffic light timings (there used to be one in London which would stay on green for about 4 seconds!) and thereby justifying the charge.

Forum Editor 23:30 24 Aug 2006

Really?

Other UK cities are considering introducing exactly the same system, and government ministers now have the power to introduce road-charging schemes anywhere in Britain.

I regularly pay the London congestion charge, and like many others I was strongly against the idea when it was first mooted, but............there's absolutely no doubt that it has had a noticeable effect. Traffic congestion in Central London has eased considerably.

Forum Editor 23:34 24 Aug 2006

London traffic light timings are handled by human beings, who sit in a control centre and monitor traffic flows via hundreds of cameras. These people make decisions about light timings on the fly. If you use certain junctions regularly - as I do - you can detect the timing changes as traffic rates ebb and flow.

WhiteTruckMan 23:49 24 Aug 2006

Flippin' diplomats still will not stump up.

WTM

SB23 10:07 25 Aug 2006

Doesn't affect me where I live, but absolutely not. Personally, I think we pay enough to have, or own our cars.

€dstowe 11:00 25 Aug 2006

I used to live and have my studio in Central London.

I don't any more.

Following the introduction of the Livingston Dream the number of clients and potential clients visiting my premises dropped markedly. It wasn't so much that they couldn't afford the charge, they objected strongly to the trade stifling philosophy behind it.

Yes, traffic in Central London has reduced but at what cost to London's economy?

I am now located in the beautiful Sussex countryside where clients say it's a real pleasure to visit if only to get away from the hustle and bustle of city (any city) premises.

Forum Editor 11:14 25 Aug 2006

Personally, and having lived/worked in London for a long time, I think London's economy suffered far more when traffic congestion was at its worst. Something had to be done, and London did it. The results have been worth it, and I very much doubt that there has been any negative impact on businesses within the congestion charge zone.

London isn't the only UK city to introduce a charge - Durham's been doing it since 2002, and since the scheme started the number of cars entering the central charge zone have fallen from 2000 a day to 200. The scheme is funding a new bus service to the cathedral.

Singapore operates a sophisticated electronic charging system, and this has been extremely effective. Nobody in Singapore complains that business has been affected, and the city is a joy to travel through.

Three Norwegian cities have charging schemes, and trials have been carried out in Rome, where traffic congestion fell by 20%.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?