Should the British public be allowed to decide it's own future?

hssutton 16:30 10 Jan 2014

According to Lord mandleson the answer is no. Surely it then follows that the public should not be allowed to vote in a general election. Maybe we should save the expense of elections and scrap democracy.

Lord Mandelson said the public should not be given a vote on whether Britain stays in or leaves the EU because the outcome would be a “lottery”.

The former Labour Deputy Prime Minister said EU membership was too important to be placed “in the hands” of such an unpredictable body as the public.

Quickbeam 17:04 10 Jan 2014

Yes.

Flak999 17:33 10 Jan 2014

Yes, of course we should. Whether we will be allowed to is another matter!

Aitchbee 19:39 10 Jan 2014

The people of Scotland will have an opportunity 'to decide it's own future', later this year ... one way or another.

morddwyd 19:46 10 Jan 2014

Funny how many politicians think that it's good for the UK to leave the EU, but not for Scotland to leave the UK!

Still, whoever expected politicians to be consistent?

fourm member 19:46 10 Jan 2014

Just so I'm clear, is this thread about what you've decided Lord Mandelson said or is it about what he actually said?

Because, bizarrely, if it is about what you've decided he said it sort of proves the point he didn't make.

bremner 22:02 10 Jan 2014

I listened to the interview on Today and as the BBC now report he said ""Because I think membership of the EU is absolutely fundamental to British interests and therefore we should be very wary of putting our membership in the hands of a lottery in which we have no idea what factors, completely unrelated to Europe, will affect the outcome of that lottery."

A very arogant reply that shows fundemantally what politicians think of those they represent.

bumpkin 22:14 10 Jan 2014

"Should the British public be allowed to decide it's own future?"

Yes or do we leave it to somebody equally useless.

fourm member 23:04 10 Jan 2014

bremner

If you listened to all of the interview you also heard Mandelson say 'I think he's [meaning Ed Miliband] right not to set the Labour party against a referendum in principle or in any circumstances...my view is that a referendum is a very blunt instrument that needs to be handled with great care' before making the comments about a 'lottery'.

So, he's not saying there must not be a referendum and I don't see where you get the idea of arrogance.

Quickbeam 08:33 11 Jan 2014

We manage the UK parliamentary lottery every few years with reasonable competence/incompetence, so we should also be entrusted with the European membership lottery under the same terms.

We are clearly polarised into for and againsts on Europe, so any of these comments from the political Europhile elite, are basically only the opinion of one faction. As time goes on, there are more and more people that once wouldn't countenance leaving Europe are showing a willing to consider leaving if the status quo within Europe is the only staying in option.

So in answer to the original question "Should the British public be allowed to decide it's own future?", yes, us plebs demand the right to risk an all or nothing referendum. If that shocks the Europhiles, then they should have listened to the dissatisfied rumblings that have been echoing around for the last few decades and taken some action in our interests instead of just telling us that they know better for us all the time.

michaelw 08:34 11 Jan 2014

The former Labour Deputy Prime Minister said EU membership was too important to be placed “in the hands” of such an unpredictable body as the public.

Utter arrogance. As someone who has a vested interest in keeping the EU gravy train cash-cow going, does he also believe that such an unpredictable body as the public were suitable to have voted for us to go into the Common Market in the first place (unfortunately).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?