Should the BBC stop

spikeychris 22:14 26 May 2008

funding the Eurovision Song Contest?

peter99co 22:16 26 May 2008

Yes, because it is a total waste of the Licence Fee

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:23 26 May 2008

8 hours of television for £200000, bet you couldn't buy an episode of the Simpsons for that money. Things have moved on with the former Soviet countries joining in the contest. The only reason our entry (automatically)qualified this year was because of the funding the UK puts in (along with Germany & France. Everyone was slating the Russian entry but this guy is a mega pop star in the Eastern bloc countries and is well liked, this is why he got so many votes. All the talk of political voting is rubbish, half these countries are nearly at war with each other, so the fact they are voting this way means this transcends politics. Note how no UK pop 'stars' put themselves forward and risk being humiliated.

peter99co 22:28 26 May 2008

What percentage of the viewing public watch this rubbish?

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:35 26 May 2008

I don't know about this year but last year it was 10m or 50% of the viewing share.
click here

peter99co 22:41 26 May 2008

The mind boggles that so many can be so easily entertained! What a sad lot we must be.

newman35 22:44 26 May 2008

Saw part of an interview with the woman 'in charge' of the UK voting, and she said we gave a dose of points to some idiotic song (can't remember what it was) - so who were we to complain about how the Eastern Bloc voted.

But I agree that filling 8 hours for that kind of money is cheap.

newman35 22:45 26 May 2008

Never watch but,...sauce for the goose etc.

Forum Editor 23:04 26 May 2008

you either love or you hate. The fact is, it's the world's most watched TV show, with a total audience of well over 100 million.

At its peak, the UK audience for Saturday's show was over 9 million - just under 50% of the total viewing audience, although the average audience throughout the evening was less, varying between 5 and 8 million, and that's lower than last year.

Nevertheless, that's more than the BBC could expect to get on an average saturday night, so I don't expect to see the funding plug pulled. What will surely happen is that the BBC will exert as much influence as it can to get the voting system changed.

Kev.Ifty 23:06 26 May 2008

The UK whines about not winning and whines that it is a load of rubbish. We would have a better chance of winning if we sent a better entrant.

Imagine if the USA entered. Who would you expect them to have as their entry?

Justin Timberlake? Britney Spears? or a bloke that used to be a garbage man and came second in a talent contest?

Russia won because their entrant is a multi million album selling artist in the Balkan states.

His song was produced by Timberland an American Multi million selling music producer.

When we enter someone like Girls Aloud or Micheal Buble. An Artist recognised though out Europe. Then we can moan about not winning

Arthur Scrimshaw 23:16 26 May 2008

Thanks - I think that is what I just said.

The fact is that no UK artist would risk their career by entering the contest. The best we could hope for is someone past their sell by date trying to revive a flagging career.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?