Should this advert be banned?

pj123 15:26 15 Mar 2005

Norwich Union Direct.

"It's a hatchback quote me happy."

I tried that, but all I got was a lot more questions.

The advert on TV gives the impression that all you have to say is the colour, or type etc... and they will give you a quote.

Is this misrepresentation? and if so should it be taken off the air?

Belatucadrus 15:51 15 Mar 2005

I don't think that you're expected to take it that literally, I mean they didn't give name address or age either and if they ran through the whole list of actual questions it would be one long boring advert.

PS after a few years with Tesco, this time Norwich Union did "Quote me happy" so I don't begrudge them a few more queries.

TBH1 16:25 15 Mar 2005

I think thats the point of PJ's comment - - - it appears as though getting car insurance with Norwich Union is a piece of cake , colour, type and thats it.

Used to be a fan of Craig Cash too - - - - hope he didn't have a hand in writing this utter tosh.

bremner 17:22 15 Mar 2005

Anyone who thinks that just by quoting the colour or type of car then they will get an insurance quote shouldn't be allowed to drive a car ;o)

pj123 17:40 15 Mar 2005

bremner, that isn't the point. I have held a driving licence since 1961.

The NU ad clearly states that all you have to do is give the colour or the type of vehicle you have and they will give you a quote. No other other questions asked.

Jackcoms 18:37 15 Mar 2005

"I have held a driving licence since 1961"

So, isn't it about time you had a pretty good idea about what is REALLY required to buy car insurance?

AND, don't be naive about advertising - any kind of advertising.

Take it with a large pinch of salt.

Forum Editor 19:09 15 Mar 2005

the computing connection here, pj123.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?