Shipping Forecast

hzhzhzhz 20:20 07 Dec 2006

Sometimes I listen to the Shipping Forecast on R4 at about 12.50am,preceded by a little bit of that lovely tune called "Sailing By".
For the last few nights I've been wondering how many people are out in boats at that time in this rather wild spell of weather we are having.

wiz-king 21:51 07 Dec 2006

Small fishing vessels, larger merchantmen and giant super-tankers and container ships, all go out in all weathers. they don't stop work because of a little wet and windy. Time is money so unless it is really bad they will be out working.

spuds 22:39 07 Dec 2006

Once you are 'out there', its batten down the hatches, and hope things will get calmer.

Koochy 22:44 07 Dec 2006

It is not just boats and their crews that are out in the weather the oil rig crews are in the middle of the sea as well and we don't have the option of going back into port till the storm passes we just have to ride it out also.

Koochy

hzhzhzhz 23:32 07 Dec 2006

click here That looks a bit rough

hzhzhzhz 23:33 07 Dec 2006

and this click here

Koochy 04:25 08 Dec 2006

The second link you supplied is a photo of an anchor handling vessel that was towing the oil rig "sedco 714" from Scotland to Canada in 1999 that photo was taken half way across the Atlantic ocean on the journey across there. I was assigned to that rig at the time but i am so glad i was on shore leave during the tow.

Koochy

The Brigadier 08:54 08 Dec 2006

It's vital imformation not just for those who's work involves the sea but also who work on the coastline. It also can give a pre-warning of bad weather for the mainland hours before it hit's landfall.

It's issued on behalf of click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?