"Shark attacks are rare"

Seth Haniel 10:03 02 Feb 2010

the soundbite "experts" come out with after every attack....

click here

and the latest soundbite (and sharkbite)

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:58 02 Feb 2010

Number of people bathing in sea = gazillions, number of sharks getting their gnashers into humans = few. QED, occurrence o'de dreaded shark bite = very, very, very rare. Simples.

G

robgf 11:21 02 Feb 2010

The land sharks are the ones to watch out for ;)

Seth Haniel 11:36 02 Feb 2010

number of shark bites = 1 number of people not going near water = gazillions

works both ways ;)

WhiteTruckMan 11:48 02 Feb 2010

this doesn't count the 2 legged variety offering helpfull, easy loans and finance on TV and magazine adverts.

And those happy to buy your scrap gold.

And those offering to pursue your personal injury claim on a no win no fee basis.

And the ones who carry wheelclamps in the back of vans.

Etc...

On the whole I'd say that the chances of getting bitten by a shark (in this country anyhow) are pretty good!

WTM

Mr Mistoffelees 12:02 02 Feb 2010

I've got no arms, no legs and a large space where most of my internal organs should be, but I have only been bitten by one shark in forty-three years!

Mr Mistoffelees 12:03 02 Feb 2010

Forty-five years!

Bapou 12:05 02 Feb 2010

Off the beaches of Capetown, South Africa, sharks appear in great numbers each year to feed on seals and dolphins. However, attacks on humans have increased which is being blamed on tour operators offering the chance to "swim" with the sharks from the safety of a cage. Large quantities of bait are dropped which attract the sharks in their numbers.

Theory is, this kind of activity means the shark is now associating food with humans who are now considered 'dinner'.

click here

Forum Editor 18:07 02 Feb 2010

the total number of shark attacks annually worldwide has remained fairly constant at between 50 and 60.

There's no doubt that there's a correlation between the numbers of people using the sea and the number of unprovoked attacks in some regions, but taken overall the statistics tend to confirm that unprovoked shark attacks are extremely rare when viewed in the context of the huge numbers of people swimming in the sea each year, and not all shark attacks are fatal.

More people are killed by bees and dogs.

mrwoowoo 18:41 02 Feb 2010

Let me know when it's your birthday so i can buy you a hat.
A lot harder to decide what to get my wife on her birthday though.

morddwyd 20:19 02 Feb 2010

"Shark attacks are rare"

So is being struck by lightning.

Still pretty damn painful though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?