The shape of things to come

octal 23:17 27 Sep 2007

This is interesting, but at $19200 it's expensive, hopefully costs will come down in a few years.

click here

interzone55 10:14 28 Sep 2007

That link is timing out, what is the product

octal 11:01 28 Sep 2007

The link works perfectly OK for me, it must be your connection.

It is a couple of flash videos so there isn't much text, what it says is:

"San Diego (CA) – A new flash storage card from Fusion io could make huge storage area networks go the way of the dinosaur and DoDo bird. The company’s upcoming ‘ioDrive’ combines hundreds of gigabytes of flash storage onto a small computer card and company officials claim that the tiny card could replace banks of hard drives."

I managed to find this PDF document about it:

click here

DrScott 11:25 28 Sep 2007

but my understanding was the writing data to Flash devices is actually slower than writing data to standard platter hard drives. Reading data is considerably quicker.

I wonder if servers that have a lot of data written to them will be so quick to transfer.

octal 11:31 28 Sep 2007

You are not wrong, but you are thinking of flash drives that use the USB port, these drives don't use the USB port but the PCI bus which is much quicker handling data.

interzone55 14:17 28 Sep 2007

Thanks for the pdf, I'll keep hold of it as many of my customers consume many terabytes of storage, along with huge amounts of power for running the SANs and cooling them down.

A few years ago I sold an 8gb solid state drive to one of the armed forces as a test platform for new black boxes. the drive fit in a 5 1/4" bay and cost close to £10k, now you can buy 8gb flash drives for about £80.

DrScott 08:58 01 Oct 2007

no I wasn't. I was thinking of SSDs like the one produced by Samsung: click here

A magazine review recently mentioned that it is slower to write to them due to the actual structure of the drive.

interzone55 10:06 01 Oct 2007

These new cards are very different to SSDs, which are still tied to using the same formats and connectors as normal drives.

The ioDrive connects directly the the PCI-e bus, so data throughput is much higher than using a SATA connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?