Sex scandal rocks Downing Street.

LastChip 20:39 02 Jun 2013
Answered

The Mail on Sunday has reported a sex scandal in Downing Street, which it claims has significant implications for the Prime Minister.

It doesn't take a lot of searching to find out who the alleged perpetrators are. But as with all rumour, it's one thing suggesting and another proving.

Clearly the lid has been firmly shut at present, but I suspect the media won't let it rest there.

Could something like this result in the Prime Ministers resignation and is this sort of reporting really in the public interest? After all, there are hundreds if not thousands of affairs going on all over the country, but they don't suffer the same scrutiny.

Al94 20:51 02 Jun 2013

I was surprised there was no posting on this subject. I'm sure FE would want it said that there should be no speculation on this forum regarding those involved. As you say, speculation is rife on the net (no I don't think the Downing Street moggie was involved ) and it appears an injunction must be in force to prevent those involved being named. Obviously this has been leaked in a further attempt to destabilise Cameron. The trouble is that more damage is being done by the suppression of the names due to the speculation now directed at many others. It has been a bad weekend in politics but whoever was involved needs to take it on the chin and move on regardless of the consequences. It is surely only a matter of time before names appear from a non UK source?

wee eddie 21:29 02 Jun 2013

Must be SamCam & BoJo!

wiz-king 06:39 03 Jun 2013

Might the Mail be looking for something to print as they didn't try to bribe an MP or Peer?

Forum Editor 07:28 03 Jun 2013
Answer

I'm struggling to understand how an affair between two senior government figures 'could bring down the government', as has been suggested in some quarters.

This is 2013, not 1913.

You should be a headline writer for the MoS by the way.

Quickbeam 07:36 03 Jun 2013

I don't think that anything can be more shocking than the revelation that John Major and Edwina Curry had been at it for years!

Al94 07:51 03 Jun 2013

It seems possible that Cameron's judgment could be seriously questioned as a result making it difficult for him to carry on but to explain further would require speculation on the parties involved. I don't think it's as simple as "an affair between two senior government figures" It is of course always possible that the DM have got this wrong but the silence and lack of reaction generally suggests otherwise.

Quickbeam 07:59 03 Jun 2013

Now I'm left wondering if the reason that gay marriages were rushed through was to allow an honourable solution to whatever this scandal is...

fourm member 08:15 03 Jun 2013

'It seems possible that Cameron's judgment could be seriously questioned as a result making it difficult for him to carry on'

What again?

Cameron's judgement gets criticised for everything he does by those who dislike him.

Sometimes it gets criticised by those who wish he were doing a better job. The trouble is that the important lapses of judgement get hidden by the background noise coming from people who just take every opportunity to have a go.

I view the Mail story as

a) An attempt to divert attention from the Telegraph/BBC and Sunday Times 'sleaze' stories. b) An attempt to divert attention from renewed calls for Leveson to be implemented in full following the Lucy Meadows inquest.

Quickbeam 08:28 03 Jun 2013

Maybe they're just trying to re-invent the great days of political scandal that had tongues wagging and curtains twitching 50 years ago.

userious? 08:55 03 Jun 2013

Honestly, are people surprized anymore at what MP's get up to? Can you really trust anything any of them do or say?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017