Sex Offenders Ruling

morddwyd 23:22 16 Feb 2011

The Prime Minister is said to be appalled at the sex offenders ruling from the Supreme Court.

click here

Sorry to bring this up again, but isn't he supposed to be in charge of the people who make the laws that these judges apply?

Parliament makes the laws, the judges simply apply or interpret them.

Don't blame the judges, blame the stupid laws, and the people who make them.

Woolwell 23:39 16 Feb 2011

Perhaps a better report click here.
So after 15 years an appeal is made which is then turned down and the original decision is upheld.

I see that Scotland has already done this without suffering undue damage.

lotvic 23:42 16 Feb 2011

<<Tory MP Philip Hollobone said the public was "absolutely fed up to the back teeth with human rights legislation and the way it's being used to promote the rights of bad people over the rights of good people".>>

human rights legislation.... again :(

morddwyd 23:43 16 Feb 2011

Yes, but there's little publicity in saying you're appalled at something that Scotland has done!

DippyGirl 23:44 16 Feb 2011

Davey seems to be "appalled" at many things
Actions speak louder than words.....what was that again?

morddwyd 23:46 16 Feb 2011

Doesn't matter what legislation it is, it's Parliament that passes it (even all the much maligned European legislation has no force in the UK until our own Parliament has ratified it).

lotvic 01:11 17 Feb 2011

Have I misunderstood? I thought it was the same legislation as The European Court of Human Rights as was discussed in the thread about the Prisoners Vote click here

morddwyd 06:00 17 Feb 2011

Yes it is, but the applicability of that legislation to the UK still had to be approved by Parliament.

The will of Parliament is still, at present, sovereign.

carver 08:12 17 Feb 2011

This is one of those laws that seems a good idea at the time, then it gets applied to every little thing, some of the people who have been put on it should never have been on it in the first place.

But if you are going to have a law such as this then surely it should have a method were you can get off the register by showing that the offence was purely a "one" off and you have shown that you are no longer a threat.

morddwyd 09:14 17 Feb 2011

Couldn't agree more.

If rehabilitation is to have any credibility at all then offenders must see some prospect at the end of it, whether burglars or paedophiles.

My beef is the lawmakers being appalled, publicly at least, at the laws they have made.

In answer to fourm member's question, that transgression (for throwing a firework when I was fifteen years old)) stayed on my record for forty years, and was perhaps one reason why I didn't get promoted for twenty five of those years.

dororof 09:24 17 Feb 2011

So,the "sovreignty" of Parlaiment is called into question and they all get hot under the collar.Is this really about HRL,or is it about a bunch of sychophants of power suddenley realising that for 40(?)yrs they have divested of themselves (and the people) the rights and priviliges their (our)ancestors fought and died for.
AS for the title,below...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone