Sewer cholesterol...

Quickbeam 09:39 01 Oct 2008

click here I wonder if this can be recycled into more chip fat...?

peter99co 09:45 01 Oct 2008

Just another example of a throwaway society!

carver 10:06 01 Oct 2008

About 4 years ago there was a program on TV about this problem I think it was one of the Life Of Grime programs(is that correct)and it seems the biggest culprits at that time were take away shops.

The amount of fat being chucked down the sewers was unbelievable, maybe now more of it could be recycled into fuel.

Chegs ®™ 11:32 01 Oct 2008

Am I one of the few that uses old milk cartons to contain old cooking fat which I then bin?I started doing this many years ago when my GF had poured the old fat down the sink and it then caused a blockage which was dam unpleasant to clear.

spuds 12:27 01 Oct 2008

When these water-sewage company's send out their annual bills, do they never think that a simple leaflet enclosed with the bill, might help to resolve some of the problems!.

The same applies to other unmentionables that end up in the sewer system, excluding of course the odd gem ring, watch, nugget of gold or silver.

Quickbeam 12:38 01 Oct 2008

"do they never think that a simple leaflet enclosed with the bill, might help to resolve some of the problems!."

I bet nobodies ever thought of that. The simplest solutions are often right under you're nose.

wolfie3000 12:50 01 Oct 2008

Is there a way of disposing fat without putting it directly into a bin?

Iv never put fat down a sink but it a pain putting it into a bin as it tends to smell after a while,

With oils like sunflower oil i found that mixing it with washing up liquid emulsifies it so it can be disposed of down a sink without blocking it.

Si_L 15:20 01 Oct 2008

Put it in the neighbours bin.

interzone55 15:59 01 Oct 2008

Don't put any food directly in the bin.

Always put food in a plastic bag. If it's likely to smell use two bags.

We don't use a chip pan, so we rarely have a high volume of fat to dispose of, but on the few occasions I've made roast potatoes and had a load of goose fat to chuck I've left it to set, scraped it out into foil, then bagged it. This has kept the smell down. If you must pour it down the sink, follow it up with a bit of caustic soda & boiling water...

Bingalau 16:03 01 Oct 2008

I imagine putting any foodstuffs in a plastic bag would stop them decomposing. Why not put it on the compost heap? (Sorry forgot it would probably attract rats etc.).

laurie53 20:19 01 Oct 2008

Put it in a shallow dish/ pot and put it out for the birds.

This story comes up every few months in a different part of the country.

In many, if not most, cases the culprits are hotels and restaurants, tho' not usually the fast food chains who have well used procedures in place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?