Seventy plus 'green' ships dock in Liverpool

TopCat® 14:11 21 Jul 2008

I doubt we'll be hearing much from Bingalau this day as I suspect he could be down at those famous docks. The Tall Ships are back in port on the Mersey getting ready to start a journey to Norway on Wednesday. The spectacular sight of these vessels rigged in full sail is truly unforgettable. I hope weather conditions on that day will allow them to sail under full canvas.

I was very fortunate in seeing them leave Falmouth a few years ago and I will never forget the magnificence of that day. TC. click here

Bingalau 16:37 21 Jul 2008

to go anywhere near The Tall Ships, even though plans were laid to do so. If I had been able to go I would have done so.. Most of my relatives and friends have been down to watch their departure this morning and I believe they will be shown on the TV tonight. Probably on Granada Reports, but may also be on BBC news. Perhaps I will see them on there.

dagbladet 17:49 21 Jul 2008

An interesting interperitation of 'green'. Assuming it was intended in the 'environmentally friendly' sense, surely these ships were built with materials and to designs that were available in the day. I doubt if environmental considerations were high on the agenda at the time.

Chegs ®™ 00:58 22 Jul 2008

As I have a historic port less than 2 miles away I have had the pleasure of seeing some of these tall ships at our maritime festivals.At all previous festivals,I would find out when the ships were due to arrive as I wanted to see them under sail but unfortunately they all arrived under diesel power so not exactly "green".As the harbour commissioners have sold off to developers a chunk of land,there will be no more festivals which is a great shame as the festivals brought in millions to the area.

laurie53 09:11 22 Jul 2008

I don't think all of these ships are old.

Some of them are relatively new training and cruise ships.

dagbladet 09:36 22 Jul 2008

OK didn't know that.

Stuartli 20:56 22 Jul 2008

The Tall Ships have been enjoyed by more than a million people since the event began officially on Friday and left yesterday to assemble off Northern Ireland, before the first race leg to Maloy in Norway.

After Maloy, the ships will then head to Bergen, also in Norway, in preparation to embark on the second leg to Den Helder in Holland.

Tall Ships race entrants have now visited Liverpool on three occasions, with competitors having sailed along the Mersey in 1984 and 1992.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone