Serendipity

morddwyd 15:00 25 Apr 2012

Just been advised that I qualify for a free TV licence next year.

That should just about make up for the increase in Personal Allowance that I won't be getting!

hssutton 15:23 25 Apr 2012

Well at least you finish up with something. I qualified last year.

This year I find that I (my family)having gained £145 (TV Licence), have now been presented with a £72 bill per month. My wife and I care for our severely disabled daughter and have been informed that this year we will have to pay a contribution of £72 per 4 weeks towards her 30 hours day care at a daycare centre. This represents approx 2/3 of her income support.

spuds 15:39 25 Apr 2012

Wait till you get notification that your 'free' bus or travel pass is about to end.

That's if you are entitled to one, because its nearly time to be on the agenda for a review.

Give with one hand, take twice away with another. I think its called 'Keep moving the goalposts'?.

lotvic 15:42 25 Apr 2012

Hush that man (Eeek) Never mind 'moving the goalposts'.. I won't be able to afford to move/travel far if bus passes go.

john bunyan 15:48 25 Apr 2012

hssutton

I think it is outrageous that you should have to pay so much extra for your daughter. I trust you are taking it up with your MP.

I am also lucky to get a free TV licence this year, but, like morddwyd offset by no age related income tax above the basic level as I was prudent enough to contribute to a company scheme.

The OAP increase that the politicians describe as generous was merely to keep up with inflation so was just a stand still.

I hope you can find someone to sort out the extra costs you unfairly face.

morddwyd 16:02 25 Apr 2012

"The OAP increase that the politicians describe as generous was merely to keep up with inflation so was just a stand still."

Diverting just a bit, on that particular issue I have just received some Lib Dem election material in relation to the upcoming local elections.

In it, and I quote direct "...the Liberal Democrats have also delivered ..... ...... the biggest state pension rise in a generation."

Funny, I thought that was delivered by the government that tied it to the September inflation figures some years ago, which government did not have many Lib Dems in it.

I also don't think my local council had much to do with it!

hssutton 16:02 25 Apr 2012

Hi John at the moment I'm considering my options. I already have letters typed out and addressed to the The Minister for Disabled People Maria Miller MP and also one for the PM. However at the moment I'm awaiting a reply from Social Services.

On the pension front I'm in the same boat as you and morddwyd, as I also have company pension.

By the way are you going for CS6, £190 or $190, but not sure if one can use the US one.

hssutton 16:06 25 Apr 2012

Spuds Wait till you get notification that your 'free' bus or travel pass is about to end.

I've never had a bus pass, we never go anywhere without my daughter, which means we are unable to use public transport due to her disability

spuds 16:21 25 Apr 2012

hssutton

It might pay to see if your local council have a section/department under the title of Welfare Rights. Recently I was at a very long time consuming meeting, regarding government changes over a vast range of welfare issues and benefits, including reductions in carer's allowances. It even includes bedrooms and overnight stays for carer's.

The whole subject resulted in what it appears, some very complicated issues, and the local council's Welfare Rights officer's were still trying to understand what is due to happen. Apparently the officer's that I was talking to, expect a large influx of bewildered people and appeals, when the full facts are presented and applied.

Don't ask me to explain any further, because I have a thirty page 'minutes' folio in front of me,of that meeting, and I am still trying to understand what is being suggested, and its all getting rather confusing. Its all to do with the government trying to make a £16-17 billion, per annum saving on various benefits and allowances.

Apologies for straying off subject on TV licence!.

Pine Man 16:21 25 Apr 2012

What's all this rubbish about bus passes?

All of my research confirms that the most likely scenario is that the age at which people in England get a free bus pass could go up from 60 to 65 for both men and women by the end of the decade.

spuds 16:24 25 Apr 2012

Amendment: The thirty pages mentioned, are actually double sided, so that makes sixty A4 pages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?