Sensible Advice BUT..

BT 08:19 10 Dec 2009

"With flat-screen televisions becoming increasingly popular and many families likely to have a new set for Christmas, now is a crucial time to talk about safety. We urge people to ensure that free-standing television sets cannot be easily pulled over by children and that wall-mounted sets are securely fixed to walls which are strong enough to hold them."

To avoid accidents, RoSPA recommended placing flat-screen televisions on a wide, stable, manufacturers' base. In addition, tethering straps should run from the top of the back of the screen to a stable anchoring point, such as a wall-mounted bracket, the organisation said."

..when will it become compulsory like the Gas Cooker Safety Chain. When they changed my gas meter recently the fitter told me that I needed to fit a safety chain to my cooker "to prevent it falling over"

Fall Over! its so Bl***y heavy I can hardly move it!

Al94 08:36 10 Dec 2009

It's good advice and although not common, it has happened click here

Pine Man 08:38 10 Dec 2009

'I needed to fit a safety chain to my cooker "to prevent it falling over"'

This advice is not as daft as you think. The main problem is oven doors that flap down. When opened and then having heavy roasting tins put on them the whole cooker can tip forward and deposit everything on top of the cooker onto you.

morddwyd 08:42 10 Dec 2009

This is surely up to people to make their own judgement.

The fact that it might, or could, happen does not make it likely.

Wardrobes have fallen on people, should they be "safety chained" too?

I once had a light fitting fall on someone when the ceiling fixings failed - should every light fitting be fitted with security chains?

Al94 09:07 10 Dec 2009

This is surely up to people to make their own judgement.

Peoples judgement is often flawed

The fact that it might, or could, happen does not make it likely

If it might or could happen, RoSPA would be failing in their duty if they didn't issue advice.

Wardrobes have fallen on people, should they be "safety chained" too

Usual cause, overloading and heavy items on top and flimsy construction. Fixing to wall often advisable.

I once had a light fitting fall on someone when the ceiling fixings failed - should every light fitting be fitted with security chains?

It would be very unlikely that a ceiling fixing would fail provided adequate fixings were used in the first place.

morddwyd 09:15 10 Dec 2009

"It would be very unlikely that a ceiling fixing would fail"

Doesn't matter how unlikely - it happened.

It's very unlikely that you will be struck by lightning, but it happens.

A small variation in a molten metal mix, and twenty years later a heavy lorry goes goes over a pothole, a nearby building feels the shock, and a twenty year old bolt fails.

Al94 09:18 10 Dec 2009

It's all about a determinable level of risk.

wee eddie 10:21 10 Dec 2009

I was given another reason, which I believe to be the correct one.

The Safety Chain is required to be shorter than the Hose Pipe connecting the Cooker to the Gas Main. So that one cannot, accidentally, pull the Gas Main or the Cooker, away from the wall and rupture it.

skeletal 10:25 10 Dec 2009

Oh dear me, I would never have thought it! Our plasma telly is wobbling about on a tower of bean cans. I wonder if that is safe. Do you think I should do something about it?

The trouble with the nanny state is that no one ever thinks for themselves any more. If some accident happens it must be that “Someone is to blame”; “Who can I sue and get millions in compensation.”

Skeletal

wiz-king 10:32 10 Dec 2009

As long as they are not all eaten at once - then the greenhouse gasses might upset the colour balance of the screen.

Chegs ®™ 11:16 10 Dec 2009

We bought a new gas cooker which was supposed to be delivered and installed.The two blokes arrived by van and deposited the cooker in the middle of the kitchen floor,obtained a signature and left(I presumed they were going to the van to collect the gas pipe & tools to fit the cooker and a couple minutes later I looked out to see them driving off)I phoned the shop to enquire whether the cooker should be fitted and was told no,and that I had to purchase the rubber gas pipe as they dont supply them.I pointed out that according to their website it clearly stated "fitted" and was told a list of stores that could sell me the rubber gas pipe.Several more phonecalls to the cooker supplier later,and a visit in person produced a refund of £10.Having read through the posts in this thread,I will now fit a chain to the cooker as it is not that stable.It is also fortunate that we have no very young children as the cooker grill is dangerous.The burners are in the top of the oven,and to stop the various controls being damaged by the grills use there is a metal plate clips onto the top of the oven that also holds the oven door open a few inches.

I dont yet possess a large flatscreen TV but when I do finally buy one,it is not being fixed to a wall but will be mounted on a proper stand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?