Sending the wrong message?

oresome 11:51 03 Feb 2009

As a child, I can never remember school closing because of the weather. Winters were much more severe than now, but we got there somehow and the worst that happened was that we weren't allowed out at breaktime and sometimes had to share classrooms as a teacher was late in.

Of course there wasn't the means of letting pupils know, even if the authorities did contemplate not opening because of the weather.

Margaret Morrissey, of the Parents Outloud campaign group, says it sends out the message that if life gets difficult you should simply stay at home. Then, when they keep taking sick days from work when they grow up we wonder why.

Cymro. 12:07 03 Feb 2009

I remember a very bad snowstorm in the early 60s. and some children could not make it home that evening and so ended up sleeping in their clasrooms.

Cymro. 12:16 03 Feb 2009

I remember a very bad snowstorm in the early 60s. and some children could not make it home that evening and so ended up sleeping in their classrooms. With things as they are these days with people suing for anything and everything I suppose that the school authorities rather not open the school in the first place. I also know that around here the school bus company will not come out to get the children if there is heavy snow. So no buses to bring or take the children what can the school do but close for a day or so,

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:20 03 Feb 2009

Two words...compensation culture. What ye shall sow so shall ye reap.

G

interzone55 12:47 03 Feb 2009

I can only remember one time when our school closed because of the weather, and it was in 1978 I think, when we ran out of heating oil. We were closed for a fortnight until the school could afford to refill the tank.

Remember that in the olden days most teachers didn't travel to work by car. Now they do, and the news was telling everyone to stay at home yesterday...

Si_L 13:03 03 Feb 2009

My old school under the first head when I was there used to shut whenever any snow settled, and this amounted to only a few days off in the 4 years he was there. Then the new headmaster came in and refused to shut the school and a teacher slipped in the snow and broke her arm. They were very hush-hush about the incident, but we later found out that she had sued the school. So sometimes it makes sense to shut.

oresome 13:09 03 Feb 2009

"So sometimes it makes sense to shut."

Only if we continue to accept the compensation culture and the nanny state.

Cymro. 14:48 03 Feb 2009

Any suggestions as to how we are to stop the compensation culture and the nanny state then?

Woolwell 15:02 03 Feb 2009

alan14 has pointed out one of the problems in that teachers nowadays have much longer commutes to work than ever before. There are also the ancillary staff. If not enough staff can get in there will not be the correct ratio of staff to look after the children so the school closes.

perpetual motion 15:34 03 Feb 2009

Hate to inform you boy's but you wont see any 20/30 or not many 40 year olds stating a story like you guys above have cause life's so differant now a days, im not sure we have advanced in the correct way cause like youve stated a "Sniff" of snow & its closed schools isnt it, Although been only 6 or 7 i can remember a HUGE snow storm in 1978 & i remember it been so big our labrador got lost in it..lol

Si_L 16:25 03 Feb 2009

I don't think its a question of accepting it, its more of a fact that unfortunately, we are in one, and that is just the way we have to adjust to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?