Sending a small valuable abroad with adequate comp

Brumas 21:04 14 Mar 2011

As a lot of you who take part in my Friday night’s I.L./T.P will know, my wife Fran,collects postcards, indeed if she didn’t there would be no Friday night I.L./T.P.
Anyhow, she has sold a postcard to a chap in Italy and, as the value is considerably more than £500 compensation which is the maximum the Post office allows, we can’t use them.
We have tried ParcelForce, UPS, DHL and FedEx and they all say that, as it is over 100 years old it is an antique and that is one of their exclusions! I tried to point out that it is a 107 year old postcard, and as such should be classed as a collectable, but all to no avail!
My next train of thought was a motorcycle courier but I suspect picking up from North Northumberland would pose a problem - I haven’t researched this avenue on the net just now as my brain still hurts from the last encounters!!!
I can recall reference being made to motorcycle couriers in a not so recent thread and just wondered if anyone could recommend a reputable, reliable firm who actually venture north of Watford Gap ;o}

Brumas 22:02 14 Mar 2011

The ins and outs of insurance are a closed book to me so I shall give them a ring tomorrow, thanks.

Forum Editor 22:58 14 Mar 2011

know their business, and that's why they say what they do about this being an antique.Their policy excludes antiques. They'll carry your consignment, but you'll need to provide the insurance. try to go with one of them because they'll be the best bet in terms of carriage cost and reliability.

With that in mind take a look at this:-

click here

Brumas 23:13 14 Mar 2011

Thanks very much, it looks promising, I shall look at it tomorrow properly with fresh eyes.

WhiteTruckMan 08:32 15 Mar 2011

in the area and deliver it personally.

WTM

morddwyd 08:51 15 Mar 2011

But not yet.

Last time I went to Italy in March I got some unusual pictures of the Trevi fountain, covered in snow!

Brumas 09:12 15 Mar 2011

An Italian holiday is out of the question at the moment so I think I will use the link that FE provided, thanks for all your input.

Bingalau 10:06 15 Mar 2011

Brumas.
I was going to suggest that you pay for me to have a nice little trip out there to deliver it for you. But somehow I don't think you would trust me! Maybe Macscouse would volunteer?

Macscouse 13:44 15 Mar 2011

The Long-haired One has already intimated to me, that she would like to help her old pal, Brumas, if he would only foot the expense account.

Brumas 20:10 15 Mar 2011

Dream on.... ;o}}

Bingalau 20:30 15 Mar 2011

Go on... Be a pal... send the three of us...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?