Selling technology to women

Kate B 19:01 31 Jan 2007

I spent an hour or so this afternoon with a researcher at Saatchi & Saatchi talking about how businesses could do better at marketing technology to women and where they're falling down and we talked around some really interesting thoughts and issues.

We discussed the fact that the buying experience, both in stores and online, can be pretty poor: complicated websites that require a certain amount of knowledge to drill down through the vast product lines; male shop assistants who can seem intimidating/arrogant/unwilling/unable to help; print and TV adverts that seem to be aimed at men; how historically technology has been a male preserve ... we covered a lot of ground.

But what do you think? It would be great particularly to have input from lisa02, MichelleC and josie mayhem, but guys, I'd love to hear your views too. I think it's a really interesting topic and it seems little research has been done it. Is the marketing aimed at men? How could technology companies do better at marketing to women?

IClaudio 19:15 31 Jan 2007

I think Zimzala (of the conspiracy theory threads) is also female. Finding only five women out of the many thousands of Forum members says a lot more than I can about the subject...

Most of the women in my life (I have three daughters, and several granddaughters) haven't the slightest interest in computers, or technology in general, and can't understand my fascination with toys.

Speaking of marketing, why is it that magazine editors seem to feel that we won't buy their title if it doesn't have a busty blonde on the cover?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 31 Jan 2007

Selling technology to women.
What do you define as a technology device?

All you have to o is stop calling it the ltest gadjet (male term) and instead call it a fashion item.

I think certain industries do a very good job of this.

It the females in the family that are constantly upgrading the mobile phones and must have the latest mp3 player (Ipod)

My daughters own far more techonolgy than I do, and my wife also has her fair share.

to name a few

Hair curlers
Hair straighteners
Pie maker
Bread maker
Massager
Food mixer
Sat Nav

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 31 Jan 2007

Oh dear

I better go out and buy a spell checker.

and does that post make me sound very sexist or just old fashioned?

Kate B 19:21 31 Jan 2007

That's a really good point, Fruit Bat, though for the purposes of the Saatchi report we were talking specifically about "gadgets" in the computery sense rather than the items you mention. But that's certainly worth considering: the makers of those items sell them very effectively to women.

IClaudio, that's a particular irritation of mine. I don't have a problem with the objectification of women, I just think it's crass and alienating.

jackhass 19:33 31 Jan 2007

Looking at it from another angle Kate B, maybe we should ask the reasons for the lack of women in tech sales.

Femails are more attracted to a 'softer' area of selling and where looks are a definite asset.Unlike spotty geek boys in PCWonderland.

When Maggie's Saatchi boys realise this ,they may then have more than an empty blue screen to work with.

If women don't take to on-line tech sales then that will be down to 'someone else in the house does it'.

In most cultures the woman is the boss of the house and is far too clever to be wasting time doing dull shopping.

'Shoe shops followed by coffee then....'

IClaudio 19:37 31 Jan 2007

One thing my granddaughters understand much better than I is the mobile phone :roll:

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 31 Jan 2007

Quote from my wife just this morning

"Ok got the shoes just need a new hanbag to match"

Belatucadrus 19:43 31 Jan 2007

"How could technology companies do better at marketing to women?"

Simple, produce more products in a lovely shade of pink.

jackhass 19:44 31 Jan 2007

Wife comes back home from shopping and says -
"I'm home darling and I've just saved you £80 in the Sales"

"Eh"?

Spot on Fruit Bat /\0/\

Zero G 19:54 31 Jan 2007

Saatchi & Saatchi is a name from the past,
did not realise they were still in the business.

My Dad used to run one of their main competitor's in the ad industry. I thought Maurice gave it all up to collect art?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?