This seems another attempt at fraud? Halifax Bank

Bingalau 12:04 12 Jul 2009

I don't belong to Halifax Bank but I got this (from them???) today, I know our FE asked me not to copy slabs of text but this isn't that big. But it is annoying knowing someone somewhere will fall for it.

Dear Customer,
Your online summary statement is now available
to view online, but have you considered going paperless?
By switching to online statements, you can manage your
account easily while reducing mail and paper cluttering
your desk. Plus, when you stop your monthly credit card
account statements, you can help the environment by reducing
paper consumption.

When you Go Paperless, you can:
� View the same information that's on your official paper statement.
� Receive monthly e-mail notification when your new official statement
is available to view online. Remember, you will not receive a paper Giro
slip. Alternative payment methods will be detailed on the back of your
online statement.
� Decrease the possibility of mail fraud and identity theft

We will never contact customers via email asking to supply any confidential information, telephone or internet banking login details via email that is why we want you to verify your account by our internet automated machine.

Si_L 12:52 12 Jul 2009

Mark it as a fishing scam if your email provider has such a service, and think nothing more of it.

Wilham 13:12 12 Jul 2009

Bingalau
What is there to fall for?

I admit I'm not happy with my Halifax cashback credit card. Over the years my annual payback has dropped in stages from 1% down to 0.25%. The return was made even lower in 2008 by a policy change 'rounding down' the cash back.. This year my Halifax Visa card was switched to Mastercard without asking me. Enough!

I opened a new cashback CC with the coop (Smile), after reading comment in our PCA forum. A month after doing this the new a/c reduced the half per cent payback to a quarter per cent. Ah well,... at least the payback comes monthly, and without the rounding off.

This relates to your thread because my new a/c is is paperless. I can quickly access statements for last six months; and if I want long-term records I can store in memory or print.
I actually prefer it.

Have I missed something?

Bingalau 13:46 12 Jul 2009

I think the last line is a giveaway, they want you to verify your account by a very suspicious method.. They are sending this to people who are not their customers. So they must be relying on a percentage of the people they send this to being their customers. If I were you I wouldn't reply.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:35 12 Jul 2009

'internet automated machine'..seems rather clumsy and if you are not a Halifax customer then the email is probably suspect. You can sign up at their site for internet banking.

G

BT 16:59 12 Jul 2009

I got one from BankofAmerica today, and I regularly get them from most of the British banks and Building Societies. Just delete and forget about them. The only one I don't get them from is my own bank!

Forum Editor 17:59 12 Jul 2009

we've given the same old advice in this forum:-

Your bank (whatever it is) will never, ever, ask you to verify anything via the internet, unless you are already logged into your online account.

Fake emails from banks circulate by the million, they're everywhere, and it's not necessary to keep posting verbatim copies of them here. Just delete them on sight, and carry on with your life.

crosstrainer 18:52 12 Jul 2009

..Will as the FE has mentioned here, and others besides. Will NEVER send you an email requesting your details ETC.

Forward the email to the bank you are with, and that will help them to deal with the increasing numbers of these Phishing attacks.

As the FE has pointed out..It's been done before.

Stuartli 23:47 12 Jul 2009

See:

click here

I get scam e-mails from financial institutions that I don't deal with and even some purporting to come from those I do.

Like the majority, I know they are scams and just delete them (I do know when I get a genuine e-mail from the Halifax!)

But as you say a small proportion of recipients must/may well respond and make it worthwhile for those involved.

Forum Editor 23:59 12 Jul 2009

a small number of people do become victims as a result of these emails, and it does no harm to be reminded of the dangers.

Bingalau 00:17 13 Jul 2009

That's exactly what I was trying to do ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?