Secret Ingredients

interzone55 11:54 29 Sep 2010

Does anyone else have a "secret ingredient" that they add to several recipes.

I always tend to add Mushroom Ketchup (click here) and Henderson's Relish (click here) to Spag Bol, Cottage Pie & Chilli, along with any other herbs & spices. All three dishes taste different, but seem to taste bland without these two ingredients...

babybell 11:58 29 Sep 2010

click here

Encona hot pepper sauce. Goes in our Chillis and a little bit in Spag Bol for a little bit of spice.

MAJ 12:11 29 Sep 2010

I'm not a spice or garlic-y person, but I have to admit that Mrs. MAJ's winter broth tastes much better when she uses a little garlic and HP sauce in the cooking of it.

birdface 13:23 29 Sep 2010

When making soup add a spoonfull of sugar.

spuds 16:23 29 Sep 2010

We have a cupboard full of various bought spices, including some from Asian friends. When we make 'a culinary specialty', anything can go. So I suppose thats my secret ingredient 'anything can go'.

OTT_B 16:30 29 Sep 2010

Black pepper, a tiny amount of cheese and tomato sauce, added to economy no-brand baked beans. Lovely!

Pine Man 16:46 29 Sep 2010

..is Worcestershire Sauce in curries, chillis and stews. Excellent sprinkled on cheese on toast as well!

peter99co 16:56 29 Sep 2010

Balsamic Vinegar in Fried Onions

BT 17:24 29 Sep 2010

A spoonful of white wine vinegar and evaporated milk to homemade carrot & coriander soup.

Brown sauce,sugar and chocolate in Chilli.

A little curry powder and tomato sauce in Cottage pie.

And of course Worcester Sauce in just about everything.

gengiscant 17:30 29 Sep 2010

Marmite to Heinze tomato soup/stews/casseroles and the cats whiskers,on toast under baked beans.

Brumas 18:03 29 Sep 2010

When making coleslaw add half a teaspoon of creamed horseradish to the mayo or salad cream along with just enough tomato sauce to colour it. Season to taste and you will never want to buy 'shop-made' coleslaw again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone