Searching for people

  Bingalau 17:49 27 Oct 2007

Is there a free method of searching the Electoral Rolls or some other records to find people?

  lotvic 18:00 27 Oct 2007

google choices click here

I find gives out enough free info to find someone

  spuds 19:49 27 Oct 2007
  bluto1 22:17 27 Oct 2007


  Bingalau 22:29 27 Oct 2007

I have found the area and the full name of the person I am looking for on the Electoral Roll. But it seems to quote an awful lot of money to find out any more. It would be o.k if I wanted to search for a lot more names, or if I were researching for genealogical reasons. But I only want his phone number or his new address. (He has moved house a couple of years ago) I still get Christmas cards from him, but no return address so can't even send him one back.

  paul€ 22:56 27 Oct 2007

For the phone number and the address try click here

So long as they are not ex-directory.

  Blackhat 23:20 27 Oct 2007

I know your frustration.

Central libraries are a good resource; I traced my wife’s older sister after 25 years lost contact by trawling current local phone books stored at Birmingham Central library. During those 25 years she had married a foreigner, emigrated, divorced, returned and lived at the other end of the country.

But using the same info and pretty much all the links you have been shown I still can’t find an old friend of mine who moved straight after his marriage 20 years ago, I was supposed to get his new address at the wedding but I couldn’t make it and I was in the process of moving myself.

Finding a phone number may sound simple but like paul€ said if its ex-directory it aint easy. Have you tried googling his name?

  Bingalau 00:32 28 Oct 2007

paul€... Have been trying your suggestion to no avail, also tried his daughter's married name and got nowhere, even though I gave the street she lives in. (Haven't got her phone number either, didn't need it when I had his address). I suppose they are both ex-directory.

Blackhat. I tried all the local phone books while I was in the area last week, I was going to give him a surprise visit and an invitation to an event. But looks like I will not be able to now. I know his daughter's married name and the street name where she lives, but not the house number. I might just try sending a letter to the street where his daughter lives and hope the local postie will deliver it. My lad's a postie and reckons that's a good chance of working. (providing they are not on strike!!!)

  spuds 11:38 28 Oct 2007

Bingalau-- There is one method that you could perhaps try, if your friend is working, retired or on a pension. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have a (chargeable £2.50!) letter forwarding service. Try them for more information on 0191 2252190 or click here

It seems to work, and at present there is a slight backlog of 2/3 weeks in sending out requests.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache