Scrappage for white goods

JanetO 16:34 19 Aug 2009

Sony have initiated a scrappage scheme for fridges and washing machines. You could save an extra £150 per item. click here

A good idea?

Curio 16:52 19 Aug 2009

First class idea. Pity I changed fridge/freezer and washing machine last year. No need for a new TV just yet.

oresome 17:07 19 Aug 2009

"The manufacturer is to offer money for old televisions, reducing the price of some of its new TVs by up to £150 in exchange for unwanted sets."

No mention of white goods in the link.......I've never associated Sony with domestic appliances.

A good idea if the discounters embrace the scheme, but I can't imagine online retailers wanting to transport the old TV back to scrap it. Little benefit if you finish up paying more for the new TV to take advantage of the allowance.

interzone55 17:19 19 Aug 2009

Not sure why Sony would offer a scrappage scheme on products they don't make...

Sony make TVs & Hi-Fis, not fridges and washing machines.

The scheme launched today offers a trade in for old TVs towards one of their expensive Bravia sets.

I haven't a clue why this is news, companies have been doing this sort of thing during lean times for years...

laurie53 19:52 19 Aug 2009

Didn't it used to be called "Part Exchange"?

Other than the car industry very little of what was exchanged was ever put on sale.

Forum Editor 23:16 19 Aug 2009

for fridges and washing machines."

No they haven't - it's a scrappage scheme for TVs.

rdave13 23:24 19 Aug 2009

Don't care what 'scrappage scheme' it is. Ultimately it's the customer who pays; doesn't matter how it's dressed up to look good.

Forum Editor 00:25 20 Aug 2009

Well yes, who else would pay? Ultimately it's the customer who pays for everything - that's how consumer economies function.

Companies - which are themselves collections of customers - make things and sell services, and people buy said things and services.

JanetO 09:21 20 Aug 2009

...No they haven't - it's a scrappage scheme for TVs...

My bad. Sony has initiated the scrappage for electricals and the British Retail consortium wants to extend it to white goods click here

birdface 09:45 20 Aug 2009

My old sony tv bought about 10 years ago needs at least two people to lift it and they would struggle.It was top of the range in those days.Great to see how much televisions have changed in 10 years.
Just bought a new TV so can't part exchange it.Pity.

rdave13 22:02 20 Aug 2009

I agree with your slightly sarcastic statement to me. That is just the problem though. 'Save up to £150 per item'. Today, well yes, tomorrow you'll pay it all back or someone else will. If anyone thinks these 'deals' are something for nothing then they are mistaken.
Same thing with the 'scrappage' deals on new vehicles. Not saying it a devious marketing ploy but makes me wonder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?