scrambling your "IP"

hijo 01:23 08 Nov 2006

yep another boring post off me..lol
ok just outa intrest some guys at work was having a debate about blocking there "IP" or scrambling it...
can this be done as there is programs like "iphider" but are they realy genuine & do they work...?..
i was told 2 yrs ago it cant be done on XP...? does anyone know anything about this..?
also please dont ask me WHY they wanted to block it..? i dont know
Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:40 08 Nov 2006

No you cannot block your own IP as the internet needs to know it to send you info. When you 'visit' a web page you do not go to the page but the page comes to you so your IP address is necessary. There are IP anonymisers around but as any computer forensic expert will confirm, they do not work.

G

hijo 09:48 08 Nov 2006

"gandalf" many thankx mate i thought this would be the answer,i just wonder how genuine the claims by these companies that say they are selling programs like "ip hider"
anyway thankx
h

ezypcy 10:13 08 Nov 2006

They do work from the situation that if you put false
registration plates onto your car then that is the visible id of the car.
Many people use this trick to avoid paying the congestion charge in London.

However,the true id of the car can be obtained from
information under the bonnet etc.

Therefore,it does work until the security services need to find you.

Hiding your 'IP address' software claims that it is very
popular with banned forum members to sneak in again.

Vangeliska 10:16 08 Nov 2006

Anonymisers DO work for basic web surfing, it is sometimes breathtaking how some people will issue sweeping edicts such as "any computer forensic expert will confirm, they do not work." If you intend to commit acts of terrorism the police will spend however much money it requires to find your identity. If you merely want to hide your IP address from a website, NO ONE is going to spend any money tracking your real IP address.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:35 08 Nov 2006

If you had been able to understand my posting you would not have had yiour breath taken away. I made it clear that for criminal acts hiding an IP was useless. On the vast majority of home computers a different IP is assigned at each log on and there is no reason for a home user to hide their IP unless they are a bit wierd.

If you would care to read click here you will see that they are not that secure to someone with a little knowledge.....oh and Javascript costs nothing

G

Vangeliska 10:40 08 Nov 2006

You say " I made it clear that for criminal acts hiding an IP was useless." You did? I must be going blind| Or am I supposed to be able to read minds?

ezypcy 11:01 08 Nov 2006

GANDALF <|:-)> looks like you have taken another wrong turn on your jungle trek.
If your compass says North then point the way please.
We need to hear it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:06 08 Nov 2006

As you may see from the link you cannot block your IP from being seen, may I refer you to my quote 'There are IP anonymisers around but as any computer forensic expert will confirm, they do not work' and the site that I listed quotes how easy it is for your IP address to be viewed, even if hidden and even if you are not an expert.

ezypcy...are you for real or do you live in 'Alice in Wonderland'?

G

rodriguez 12:09 08 Nov 2006

An IP anonymiser will just re-route your Internet traffic through a proxy server somewhere else in the World, which makes you appear to have a foreign IP - to a website it will make you look like you're in Poland or somewhere. This often slows your connection down. Your true IP is kept by your ISP and isn't changed because it needs that to keep your Internet connection. So even though it's masked, it can still be traced, it's just not as easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?