Scottish Tory party

john 52 08:19 04 Sep 2011

Sounds to me like a re branding exercise will the Scottish voters fall for it ? I do not think so

Scottish Tory leadership wants to disband party

gengiscant 09:03 04 Sep 2011

Up here in Scotland we are lucky to be blessed with rubbish politicians of every party. I speak from personal experience after turning to my local MP for help,I'd have been better asking my cat for assistance.

morddwyd 09:25 04 Sep 2011

I had to read this twice on the BBC site!

Have they totally lost the plot?

Luckily this is only a proposal by one candidate, who has yet to face the party electors.

I can't see what's left of rank and file Tory party members north of the border going for this.

If they do it will give the Lib Dems a massive boost.

Quickbeam 09:31 04 Sep 2011

The re-branding of the Marathon bar into Snickers worked a treat, but I'm not sure if Mr T could do the same for the Scottish Tories with or without the bling...

morddwyd 10:26 04 Sep 2011

Yesterday he said "We can kill independence and break the SNP"

With a brand new party?

He begins to look more and more like a clone of Westminster - govern by soundbites!

Say what you like about Annabel, but when she spoke it was normally worth a listen.

Forum Editor 11:17 04 Sep 2011

morddwyd

"With a brand new party?"

I don't know where you get that idea from - there would be no brand new party at all. This proposal is simply a way of repositioning the existing party, and as fourm member points out, the real proposal will be modified as reactions become apparent.

It's always best to look beneath the surface of reports like this before asking 'have they totally lost the plot?' Perhaps 'they' know more about the plot than you seem to give them credit for.

morddwyd 11:48 04 Sep 2011

FE

My comment was based on the BBC Text service, rather than the given link, and it says

Headline "Scottish Tories to be Disbanded"

Text "...... said he plans to disband his party if he wins.........!

"......and claims a new centre-right party would attract more voters"

".......... the party .......... would have its own policies"

That's where I got the idea of a brand new party from.

The link appears to say much the same thing and also quotes his slogan as "new party for Scotland"..

I thought that all in all that made the idea pretty clear, I obviously placed to much reliance on "disband his party" and "a brand new party" with "its own policies" and "new party for Scotland"..

Silly of me. He is, after all, a politician.

fm

"that doesn't fit your way of commenting by soundbites!"

I'm not commenting by soundbites. So far as I am aware this is a sound free zone!

To be honest, While DC may be "aware" I can't see such splintering, if that's what it is, getting his unreserved support.

gengiscant 11:55 04 Sep 2011

It really does not matter whether they re-brand themselves as or not,the Scots will still see them as Tories and will never vote them into any sort of power.

The Scots are still blaming English for what happened hundreds of years ago, so they are not going to forget the Margaret Thatcher and the Conservative party any time soon who they blame for so much, not least try out the poll tax here first.

So even if they call themselves the 'We are really nice people who love the Scots people and we will never be nasty to you again party' the Tories in Scotland are nothing.

Forum Editor 12:12 04 Sep 2011

"The Scots are still blaming English for what happened hundreds of years ago"

Perhaps it's time they started looking to the future instead.

morddwyd 13:09 04 Sep 2011

"I also suspect, because I read the BBC teletext news regularly, that it's prepared by a 5-year old intern."

I'm afraid that, once again, I find I'm in agreement with you, though many five year olds are better at spelling!

wiz-king 15:49 04 Sep 2011

Reminds me of the saying "If it's brown, got feathers, webbed feet, wings, a beak, waddles and goes quack-quack and looks like a duck: It's probably is a duck..."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone