Scottish Parliament propose to scrap council tax

Totally-braindead 19:45 11 Mar 2008

I just saw on the news tonight that the SNP are proposing to scrap Council Tax and bring in what they say will be a fairer way of paying.
Heres the link from the BBC website click here

Now I'm Scottish and what concerns me is that whatever they bring on to replace it might be more expensive. It might be cheaper. If you listen to the SNP it will be all milk and honey for the majority of people. Yeah right. I believe everything they say.

And I won't get any say on this either. They have been elected and will just do as they wish. If I disagree then I will have to wait for the next set of elections to vote them out.

Surely something as important as this, that will effect every single person in Scotland should be subject to some sort of referendum?

gardener 20:12 11 Mar 2008

There was no referendum for the Council Tax as far as I can remember. Nothing could be more unfair than the Council Tax in my opinion, but that's because I'm paying 10 times as much as I was under the old rating system and getting worse services than before the CT.

laurie53 20:21 11 Mar 2008

This is called democracy - the people get the chance to elect a committee to run their affairs for a number of years.

If you don't like it change it next time.

Anyway, the SNP are a minority government, so they've still got to get it past two of the other parties, plus Robin Harper.

For the benefit of our English (and other) friends, Robin Harper is our Green MSP, and is quite important in a hung Parliament!

Believe it or not, it's working reasonably well. The Tories and Labour both hate the Nats so much that they will actually join forces to bring the Nats down, which tends to make them (the Nats) a bit circumspect about what legislation they propose.

merciarich 20:23 11 Mar 2008

...... or did someone just suggest moving to Scotland?

Meh! Council Tax, what a shambles. Just had our bill through for the upcoming year. Disgusting.

If only we were more like the French. If they dont like something, they strike.

finlay.mitchel 21:58 11 Mar 2008

The SNP are only fulfilling their promises of the last decade and a half.

You've just got used to the usual U-turn antics of Labour and .. and .. oh yes Con-self-servites

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone