Scottish Footballers Banned

laurie53 20:16 03 Apr 2009

I'm not into football, so forgive me if I'm showing a bit of ignorance, but judging by comments which sometimes on the forum, am I wrong in supposing that this might do football a bit of good?

click here

QuizMan 20:52 03 Apr 2009

"might do football a bit of good?" - I hope so, but I doubt it. Whilst there are some intelligent footballers out there, there are just as many who lack the intelligence or maturity to have the appropriate discipline. Couple that with the earning capacity to have money to burn and it's a recipe for trouble.

Jak_1 20:54 03 Apr 2009

Seems a bit ott to me! Whilst they did bring the game into disrepute I feel the Scotish F.A. are cutting off their noses to spite their faces with the punishment awarded. It was not for violent conduct and an x number of matches suspension would have been more appropriate I feel. In order to qualify for the World Cup, Scotland need all their best players.

tullie 20:59 03 Apr 2009

Its a pity the English FA are to gutless to do something similer.

(~oo~) 22:14 03 Apr 2009

being unfit to play 100% and deliberately sticking two fingers up at the SFA.

The got what they deserve.

It just might make others think twice, instead of thinking they are irreplaceable.

dukeboxhero 23:21 03 Apr 2009

So sad the way Ferguson has deterioated over the years when he promised so much as a young player but i feal he may have outgrown his ego,
but It is common knowledge across the city that there were 7 involved but only the Ibrox 2 were made an example of by the management team.

Stuartli 00:31 04 Apr 2009

Back in the old days when footballers were all on pretty much the same wages and provided just as much entertainment as those of today, many of them would end up somewhat the worst for wear either one or two nights prior to a match.

Yet it didn't stop them going out on to the pitch, playing out of their skins and winning crucial matches.

I recall one instance where several players from a team chasing the then First Division championship sneaked out of their Blackpool hotel and dragged themselves back to bed around 5am.

That afternoon they had an odd goal in three victory at Bloomfield Road...:-)

As far as I'm aware, none of their club officials had any inkling of their behaviour; in fact it ws one of the players involved who told me about the incident some considerable time later.

(~oo~) 08:39 04 Apr 2009

Used to play for Derby County under Cloughie.
He and another went out got drunk, caused trouble, when they were told to stay in.

Both were sacked on the spot by Clough.

Ranger 14:20 04 Apr 2009

(~oo~) "being unfit to play 100% and deliberately sticking two fingers up at the SFA"

They weren't unfit to play, this happened on the Sat/Sun morning, the next game was the Wednesday, if they were so unfit to play why were they on the bench? also why were the other 5 who admitted to just leaving before the manager arrived not unfit to play 100%?

The two of them were incredibly stupid to give the v to the press (it has been reported it was to the press and not the SFA) and in my opinion the way the press set about the two of them when the story broke I can't say I really blame them, childish as it was.

The management also has to carry some of the blame, they should have given them a time when they were expected to be in their bed/stop drinking or whatever, and if they felt the indiscipline was as bad as it now seems they think it was they should never have been put on the bench where they were made a target by the fans and media alike,they should have been sent home, possibly along with the other 5 and never put in that situation.

Before anyone thinks that because I am a Rangers fan and this is why I am sticking up for them forget it, as far as I'm concerned Ferguson should have been shown the door at Ibrox when Paul Le Guen wanted it (and in my opinion several others) but our chairman in his wisdom and evelasting shame decided to back Ferguson and not the manager.

I just think the punishment is OTT, especially when as I say the management have made as we say in Glasgow "a erse of it" as well

Forum Editor 18:21 04 Apr 2009

".....they should have given them a time when they were expected to be in their bed/stop drinking or whatever.."

I'm sorry, I thought these people were supposed to be grown-ups, and capable of taking a little responsibility for their actions.

Trying to blame the team's management for what a couple of irresponsible players did is hardly fair, is it? Presumably the other members of the squad managed to work out what their bed time was, and stick to it.

(~oo~) 23:51 04 Apr 2009

"They weren't unfit to play, this happened on the Sat/Sun morning, the next game was the Wednesday, if they were so unfit to play why were they on the bench?"

If they were fully fit to play they would have been in the starting line up. The manager makes those decisions, that's what he gets paid for.

It was the SFA that handed down the ban, not totally by the manager. That is why they were stuck on the bench. If the SFA had convened before the match, they may not have been in the stadium.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?