Scots offered £100 to take up IT training

TOPCAT® 18:12 01 Aug 2005

There'll certainly be a 'moose loose about the hoose' now! TC. :o))

click here

Forum Editor 19:32 01 Aug 2005

laughing from here.

octal 20:17 01 Aug 2005

I'm not sure what £100 buys these days, I suppose it teaches you how to switch the computer on as most of the ICT courses are only a day for around that cost. To get anything meaningful like ECDL its going to take five or six times that cost.

spuds 10:56 02 Aug 2005

Remember when a similar scheme was introduced a few year ago. People were signing up [including me] and the whole system collapsed under a very dark cloud. Some of the authorised providers just couldn't support or provide the service, with the end result that the scheme was closed down very rapidly.

I wonder if the vouchers originally supplied to me and many others will become transferable!.

Forum Editor 18:13 02 Aug 2005

was because of fraud. So-called training companies were claiming (and getting) taxpayers' money for hundreds of thousands of totally fictitious 'customers'. Why nobody in the civil service responsible for administrating the scheme didn't foresee such a situation is quite beyond me, but apparently they didn't.

Now we hear of a similar scheme for Scotland - hence my orginal post. If you want to train people to use computers do it in schools, or within the existing adult learning system.

Jackcoms 19:22 02 Aug 2005

"Why nobody in the civil service responsible for administrating the scheme didn't foresee such a situation",

The answer is in your post.

They're civil servants - they're not paid to think or foresee anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?