School lunch rules 'too strict'

peter99co 13:19 25 Mar 2009

Is this a case of To Many Cooks? click here

Cymro. 13:26 25 Mar 2009

I sometimes wonder if these people who think up ideas of healthy school meals have ever bought up children of their own.

The words about "taking a horse to watter etc. come to mind.

Forum Editor 17:32 25 Mar 2009

but if you can start when people are young enough you stand a chance of altering their eating habits for life.

There's no doubt that we should try something, if we don't we're condemning huge numbers of children to a shorter life, or one that's plagued with diet-related illnesses later on.

bremner 17:40 25 Mar 2009

I agree with what the F. Editor has said..

However the point that was being made on the BBC News this morning was that this initiative could very well lead to the total closure of school canteens.

The pupils may well be faced with very limited choice and the older ones will resort to the local fast food outlets and the younger ones, not allowed to leave school premises will bring packed lunches.

Some sort of compromise may be necessary.

laurie53 21:05 25 Mar 2009

"if you can start when people are young enough "

Many people of my age group started very young, for the simple reason there was nothing else, and not very much of what there was in the first place.

I have no doubt we were the healthiest generation of children ever, but I'm afraid as rationing ended so did our healthy eating!

May have come back to it a bit now, but there was a short period of about 50 years or so when my diet was every bit as gross and unhealthy as the modern teenager's.

peter99co 21:14 25 Mar 2009

Did you get any Scott's Emulsion as a child?

DieSse 22:27 25 Mar 2009

It's called the law of unintended consequences, and a perfect illustration of the eventual futility of the "nanny state".

Healthy eating habits begin in the home, not in the school. If children don't have them when they get to school, most of them will be lost causes, as they've been exposed too much to the abrogation of personal responsibility, via their parents lack of parental responsibility.

Grey Goo 23:09 25 Mar 2009

The Asbestos in the classrooms will probably kill them before the bad diet.

laurie53 07:13 26 Mar 2009

No, just cod liver oil, not capsules but two drops on a spoon, absolutely disgusting taste.

Didn't get orange juice either, that, like the cheese and butter ration, was passed to my grandparents!

BT 08:02 26 Mar 2009

"two drops on a spoon"

Is that all? I seem to remember it was the full spoonfuls. I actually didn't mind the taste. The 'clinic' orange juice was really quite nice,
and when we no longer got it my Mum used to buy Rosehip Syrup for our Vitamin C. What about Cod Liver Oil and Malt, now that WAS a sticky spoonful.

As to school dinners, when I was at Grammar school in the 50's/60's most of the school had school dinners. There was no choice, just a set meal each day, but they were very popular and not much went to waste. 'Seconds' were almost fought over, and this was in the days of meat and two veg - no 'Junk' food in those days. Cost was if I remember 1/-(5p) a day paid at the sart of the week and Dinner tickets were issued daily at registration.

luthier 13:09 26 Mar 2009

A few years ago our local comprehensive school got rid of the LEA caterers, employed a 'proper' chef and now feeds over 90% of pupils with good locally grown food. The LEA catering was dire (all processed and deep fried) and only 20% of pupils ate their food. The food is now eaten by well over 90% of pupils (and staff) in pleasant environments. Check out the menus here click here They even have their own website advising other schools how it can be done click here It makes your mouth water!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?