Saving money

natdoor 12:14 09 Feb 2009

I note that Mr. & Mrs. W. Rooney were reported to have used a "two for one" voucher recently when visiting a restaurant. This was possibly in response to advice to players from his club not to "splash the cash". So I guess the rest of us need not feel embarrassed at doing likewise.

Sadly, there seems to be no evidence of similar 2 for 1 deals on tickets by the clubs. Given the current climate, weather and economic, it seems surprising that there seems to be no reduction in spectator numbers. I realise that season ticket holders will continue to attend matches and have no idea what proportion they form.

However, given that some serious adjustments need to be made in remuneraton levels within the economy, one possibilty would be to start with Premier League clubs and players by means of a boycott. If half the normal number of spectators went instead to their local pub to watch a match and drank sparingly, they would give much-needed support to publicans and have money to inject into other parts of the economy. It would deny clubs some million pounds in revenue per match and would give rise to some urgent re-evaluation of the value of players. We might even see the odd English player being recruited.

What am I saying? There is ittle likelihood of the herd mentality being abandoned, no matter how bad it gets. Youngsters will still get into debt to watch "their" team. As far as I am concerned, however, football has lost its charm as a result of the large injections of money. Do you have to be old and cynical to feel like that?

oresome 12:43 09 Feb 2009

I called in a Wetherspoons yesterday and loudly asked for two pints of their cheapest beer.
Very nice it was too.

When I picked up the Saturday paper, I was approached by a lady who encouraged me to buy the Times instead as it was at the reduced price of £1. I always purchased the Saturday Times until the start of this year when I decided it was getting too expensive............it seems others are thinking the same way.
With a sharp fall in income, something has to give.

Stuartli 12:50 09 Feb 2009

Yes..:-)

Premiership League football is not longer just a sport, but big, big business.

The players are employees and their pay reflects the market demand for their services.

You would do exactly as they do under the circumstances - I can't see you turning down a five-figure a week salary to play a game that you would (probably) greatly enjoy just as an amateur.

By the way, check out just how many English, Irish, Scotch and Welsh players there are in the Premiership. You might be surprised.

wiz-king 13:13 09 Feb 2009

It's not only the football clubs who know how to charge. My local sports club cannot afford to renew our sky sports subscription this year, we would need to sell 5000 pints of lager just to pay for that alone, with only about 20 people an evening it does not justify the cost.

Cymro. 13:21 09 Feb 2009

You suggest a boycott of football matches as a way of "I assume" reducing admission charges for spectators. Well I wish you all the best with it, but I doubt very much if you can organise any such boycott or sustain it long enough to have any such affect on the big football clubs.

Clapton is God 13:27 09 Feb 2009

"Saving money"

Dreadful times we live in.

I've just had to let 2 under-butlers go and now only have four cases of champagne delivered per week (it was previously 5 cases).

As for the caviar, I'm reduced to eating the inferior Sevruga variety (it's just too vulgar to continue using Beluga in these times).

Unfortunately, I won't be replacing the Rolls this year. I've instructed the chauffeur to polish the damned thing twice daily in future, if he wishes to retain his position in my household.

Must pop out to the bank now (Coutts, you understand), their Managers simply refuse to do home visits these days. Peasants.

Toodle pip!

natdoor 13:45 09 Feb 2009

Well, that gave me a smile. My post was equally tongue in cheek, or were you serious? LOL.

natdoor 15:35 09 Feb 2009

You are almost correct. It is no longer a sport, simply big business sustained by fans. I could undestand this loyalty if it had some local emphasis, such as when the Magpies had "wor Jackie" but I find it difficult to understand it in relation to the currrent band of mercenaries and their shenanigans.

Cymro, I not proposing to organise a boycott. Rather, I was musing on the fact thsat one has not taken place spontaneously.

newman35 15:50 09 Feb 2009

Like most people who watch football, I only see games on 'free TV' ie would never pay for a ticket to a game or a Sky package etc. Does that make me a 'sponger' off other folks money?
I enjoy watching games, but would not see it as devastating if there weren't any, so I would say carry on supporters and pay-as-you-viewers, if that's how you wish to spend your brass then that's your business and nobody else's (and if I benefit, all to the good!).

Stuartli 16:59 09 Feb 2009

I am correct...:-))

JYPX 17:27 09 Feb 2009

No, there will not be a mass boycott but I feel that change is coming. There will be a moment for the average fan when the penny will drop that the only reason his family ticket cost almost 4 figures is because the modestly talented player he is watching INSISTS that he cannot live with less than 5 exotic cars in his garage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?