SATS Revisited

DippyGirl 16:24 20 Nov 2008

There have been a few threads lately about problems with society, education, not taking responsibility and the curve of bananas (ok maybe not the last one)
here's one that has it all ....

Following the problems with the SATS marking this summer I would have thought anyone with anything to do with educational examining would be extremely vigilant... apparently not click here

Youngsters may have their doubters and are often criticised (sometimes rightly) but some many of these students are just being badly let down....but someone did apologise ...so that makes it all OK ??

shellship 19:04 20 Nov 2008

It is not in the culture of today's agencies to apologise. They are probably scared of getting sued if they imply they have done something wrong. What a state we live in. (Sounding just like my mother when she was 90!)

Forum Editor 19:19 20 Nov 2008

Not in my book.

This company is the largest of the three English exam boards, and says of itself that it has "a leading reputation for promoting education for the public benefit and draws on long experience of setting and marking public exams such as GCSEs, A-levels and other qualifications."

That being the case, I would have thought that a quick check of an examination paper before it was sent off to be taken by 119,000 students would have been automatic - not so, apparently. If it was checked the situation is even worse.

No doubt someone at AQA thought it would all be OK if they said: "we are reviewing our monitoring procedures to establish exactly how this has occurred. As always, we will take all steps to ensure we protect the interests of all our candidates".

It's incompetence of course, and should be admitted, but it won't be.

laurie53 20:17 20 Nov 2008

"Due to a printing error........"

Now, FE, perhaps you can help me out here, being in the trade, so to speak.

Don't most printers/publishers employ people called proof readers?

rossgolf 20:23 20 Nov 2008

i was one of the many people affected by the late marking of the SATS earlier this year.
they took a long time to come bak, and some only got to the school at the beginning of the new term in September

John B 21:10 20 Nov 2008

"Students will not be disadvantaged by the error"

Jim Thing 23:50 20 Nov 2008

"...Don't most printers/publishers employ people called proof readers?"

Now that everyone has a spillchucker to hand, I suspect that many printers/publishers consider proofreading costs to be an unnecessary overhead. WRONG!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?