Sat Nav Updates- can they go awry?

jack 15:41 17 Aug 2010

I do not own a sat nav and so don't understand their complexities.
The reason I ask the question is because of two incidents one yesterday and one today.
Yesterday -Sunny afternoon- I was mowing the front Garden.
When a a vehicle transporter crept up our residential road and squealed to a stop by my side with the driver looking puzzled.
The cars on board were new Vauxhalls.
The Vauhxall Dealer is infact opposite my home but one road further North on the A296.

The puzzled expression of 'How the **** did I gert here on his face brought a smile and it was an education to watch him back the thing up a cul-de-sac to turn to find his way out.
This morning I was in driveway and a van driver asked me where no 600 odd was.- I replied we only go 90 or so- Yup in the wrong road- He too wanted the same road as the transporter driver.
So the question is sat nav sending folk to the wrong place again?

birdface 15:58 17 Aug 2010

It's not a precise tool.
Maybe the more expensive ones are.
I used to do a bit of courier driving with two big boxes of maps always in the back of the van.
I eventually got a sat nav on my mobile phone and it was great.
One little phone against 2 boxes of maps a big difference.
It used to be a bit of a nightmare on large roundabouts with them but that was about 7 years ago and I would imagine that they have improved since.

babybell 15:59 17 Aug 2010

The problem with some companies, especially those in trading estates, is that Royal Mail often give them a postcode which is the same as a nearby housing estate, instead a going through the hassle of producing a new one just for them.

My company has a postcode of BS37 7UU, but when you type that into a sat-nav, you end up in a housing estate half a mile down the road.

The other problem are lorry drivers ignoring signs such as cul-de-sac or narrow road, and just blindly following the sat-navs orders instead of stopping asking for help.

Woolwell 16:15 17 Aug 2010

A sat nav used with common sense is good, a satnav followed without thought is bad.

morddwyd 19:57 17 Aug 2010

Woolwell has it exactly.

It's not the sat nav that goes awry, but the driver!

Who would drive at 70 on an ice bound motorway because "I have abs"?

Bald Eagle 22:06 17 Aug 2010

I go on Google earth and get the lat and long of where I want, put this in and it's infallible.

Quickbeam 08:03 18 Aug 2010

Sat-navs are great, but they do need a degree of common sense to survey a scene and make a discretionary judgement of your own from time to time.

BT 08:31 18 Aug 2010

I was chewing the fat with my neighbour one afternoon when a large foreign Artic came slowly down our narrow residential road.
He stopped and got out with his delivery notes and asked where his delivery had to go.
Unfortunately he was about 15 miles out. He wanted an address in Carleton Rode and he was in Carleton Road. A simple spelling mistake but he was a foreigner!

ella33 09:36 18 Aug 2010

Most drivers ask for a Post Code, presumably this chap's firm was not too thorough.

ella33 09:37 18 Aug 2010

Oh, reading Babybell, even that can b a problem, not normally though

anchor 09:58 18 Aug 2010

I have found that using post codes to locate a destination in a SatNav is not the best way.

TomTom update their postcode file from time to time, but this is not generally known. Personally, I try to avoid post code on my TomTom.

If you can find the exact latitude and longitude, (GPS position), this is ideal. I find Google Earth not that precise, but this site is spot on!.

click here

make sure the cross hair + is precisely on your destination. The GPS position is given at the lower left of the image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?