Sat Nav say's 'Turn left at the crossing'

The Brigadier 18:01 08 Mar 2007

A woman will not face prosecution after her satellite navigation system told her to drive onto a railway line.

The 52-year-old, from Dorking, Surrey, was waiting at a level crossing at Norman's Bay, near Eastbourne, East Sussex, on January 16 when the device told her to turn left.

She drove her silver Ford Fiesta onto the track at 7.30pm, blocking train services between Brighton and Hastings, a Bitish Transport Police spokeswoman said.

The unnamed woman was investigated for obstructing the railway and driving without due care, but police decided that pursuing a case against her would not be in the public interest.

PC Christine Holyoake said: "We have looked into the matter, and have come to the conclusion that the woman had made a bad but honest mistake.

"A prosecution is not in the public interest and the matter is now closed."

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:03 08 Mar 2007

People that stupid should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car.

G

VoG II 18:07 08 Mar 2007

It was dark.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:08 08 Mar 2007

In her mind or the surroundings?

G

ulrich 18:11 08 Mar 2007

She probably had sunglasses on because of the flashing lights.

rodriguez 18:15 08 Mar 2007

A certain amount of common sense is required when driving - I don't think it's very good common sense to drive straight onto a railway track. It starts to raise concerns about the stupidity of some of the people on our roads. I think most people would ignore a sat nav instruction to turn onto a railway line, but people who follow such obvious mistakes and end up in these situations should really re-take their test - preferabally one that involves a certain amount of common sense (maybe they could include false sat nav instructions in the test) to pass.

sunny staines 18:28 08 Mar 2007

she may have medical problems possibly early dementia or altzhimers a lot of old people need regular fitness to drive medicals.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:30 08 Mar 2007

Some would say that 52 is not old.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 08 Mar 2007

52 is not old!

you do not need a medical untill 75 as the law stands at the moment.

How you can drive a Fiesta onto a railway line and not know you have left the road with in one yard of being on the line is beyond me. Suprised it didn't rip the sump off or rip off an axle.

mikef. 18:34 08 Mar 2007

Unfortunately it's all to common, switch on the Sat Nav, switch of the brain, no I'm not anti Sat Nav I use one but it doesn't mean you have to slavishly follow it without looking at what you are doing, mine usually says turn about 200 yards before a turn to give you plenty of warning

IClaudio 18:36 08 Mar 2007

52?

A mere stripling!

sunny staines, one of the early symptoms of Alzheimer's is poor spellng... ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?