Salmon in the Clyde

morddwyd 09:44 12 Feb 2012

The salmon fishing season started on the Clyde yesterday, and it is now regarded as one of the top ten salmon rivers in Scotland (no link I'm afraid, local tv news).

A remarkable turnaround for what was one of the most polluted rivers in Europe, the more so when you consider that the river was not seeded, the fish returned naturally after an absence of a century or so.

birdface 10:14 12 Feb 2012

Looks like it starts on the 11th February to 31st october.

http://www.flyfish-scotland.com/salmon-seasons.htm

Quickbeam 10:14 12 Feb 2012

The industrial pollution of rivers in the 19/20th centuries took a huge toll on rivers that had an industrial base on them, thankfully they are being slowly returned to pre-industrial revolution quality. Even my nearest polluted river is recovering as a salmon river. Prior to the '70s the River Don was a truly filthy industrial drain for the Sheffield steel industry.

Forum Editor 10:20 12 Feb 2012

Salmon were reintroduced to the river Lambourne, a tributary of the Thames in 2007. It was considered that the river was now sufficiently clean for the fish to breed, and it's hoped that if all goes well there should be a healthy salmon population in the Thames within the next five years

badgery 10:30 12 Feb 2012

"..the fish returned naturally after an absence of a century"

Perhaps they're just a bit confused and had heard 'Salmon(d)' were now in charge in Scotland!!

Forum Editor 16:39 12 Feb 2012

"..the fish returned naturally after an absence of a century"

I think you'll find that they returned because of the many thousands of salmon parr introduced artificially during the 1980's. Unless that had happened there would have been virtually no salmon to return, because virtually few salmon were breeding. It would have taken far longer for numbers to have built up naturally.

lucky1 17:50 12 Feb 2012

According to the BBC Scottish news they have returned because they attempted to swin up a tributary of the Clyde which was in spate, instead they tried the clalmer waters of the Clyde which was not in spate, and they've returned ever since.

birdface 18:25 12 Feb 2012

Well there has been salmon fishing on the River Leven which runs into the Clyde at Dumbarton for as long as I can remember.

I can only assume that it was in the Glasgow area that the fish stopped living because of pollution.

Forum Editor 18:53 12 Feb 2012

buteman

If you take a look at this PDF you'll see some interesting maps showing the decline and resurgence of salmon stocks in the central belt of Scotland.

The document says that stocks have indeed re-established themselves naturally, as mordwydd said in his original post. Apparently by the entry of stray fish.

ams4127 19:44 12 Feb 2012

I was born and raised on a farm in Ireland. The back fields ran down to the Boyne, about 5 miles from where the battle took place.

My father was one of the local doctors and many were the times when opening the kitchen door in the morning would reveal a nice fresh salmon on the step. Also got the odd bottle of Poteen!!

I tried a large sip of poteen once and thought I had died. Couldn't breathe, couldn't see, couldn't speak. Never again.

spuds 00:38 13 Feb 2012

ams4127

That must have been in the winter months, when they added anti-freeze ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?