"Sailing By" by Ronald Binge

TopCat® 13:37 11 Feb 2008

Little things mean a lot - to me!

For some years now I've been listening to the above named light music that precedes the shipping forecast on Radio Four at around 12-45am each night. It's a nice, relaxing and soothing piece of light music that helps to settle me down and readies me for sleep.

The version played was made specially for Radio Four and I have been trying to find out from the BBC which orchestral instrument it is that simulates the waves in the piece. Getting a reply from the BBC these days is like trying to get into Fort Knox!

Can anyone please help me on this query? I'll then sleep easier still, knowing the answer at last! :o) Thanks. TC.

TopCat® 13:44 11 Feb 2008

For those that don't know the tune here's a link to it - scroll down to "External links"

click here

Cymro. 13:48 11 Feb 2008

Try the BBC website.
If you have the time and patience to plough through it you may come up with something.

TopCat® 13:54 11 Feb 2008

Alas, I've already tried several BBC contact websites but fail to get an answer from any of them - even from the weather link. Can't get anything from Googling it, either! TC.

Bingalau 14:26 11 Feb 2008

I will have a guess they are using the drums with those light feathery swish things. Then again it is more probable that it is actually a recording of the waves.

Brumas 14:29 11 Feb 2008

I just followed your link and listened - what a delightfully calming piece of music!
Whenever I feel stressed I think I shall play it because I'm pretty sure it would calm me down - thank you :o)

€dstowe 14:36 11 Feb 2008

Remember that the BBC was a pioneer of electronic music, the Radiophonic Workshop. That department composed lots and lots of music and sound effect including Dr Who and the voices of the Daleks as well as more conventional things. It may well have been one of their experimental sounds that provides the wave simulation on Sailing By.

Bingalau 14:36 11 Feb 2008

Just had a thought. It could well be a recording by the band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines. Have a look through this site and see if you can come up with something. There seems to be a good description with some of the recordings advertised.

click here

anskyber 14:41 11 Feb 2008

Yes it has the sound of electronically generated music.

TopCat® 14:54 11 Feb 2008

Yes, it is nice, Brumas, and it's a pity that version is not commercially available. You know, I thought I had a good memory of the sounds made by most orchestral instruments, but this 'wavy one' has me stumped.

You're spot on about the percussion rendition, Bingalou, the drums are being softly played with brushes, of which there are several types to use.

€dstowe - you may very well be right as I hadn't thought of that. TC.

recap 15:42 11 Feb 2008

click here to listen to the full track.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017