Sad or brilliant?

Kate B 23:04 12 Feb 2007

Just watching the footage of the Police playing together for the first time for heaven knows how long and seeing the news that they're to do a 30th anniversary tour.

Is there something a bit tragic about a trio of blokes well into their 50s trying to relive their glory days of 20-odd years ago or is it good on them?

I loved the Police in the 1980s but I'm not sure I'd go and see them now. I've moved on.

WhiteTruckMan 23:15 12 Feb 2007

I suspect the real reason behind most (I'll begrudgingly admit not all) of these reunion tours is financial. Usually down to the likes of crooked accountants/managers etc or piddlin poor buisness decisions.

Anyone know how much dosh sting blew in the rainforests?

WTM

Belatucadrus 23:21 12 Feb 2007

I wouldn't have bothered to see them in their heyday, but I suppose the proof of the pudding so to speak will be in the new album, and I'll put money on their being one. Will it be new material of a similar quality to the first lot, or a tired old rehash of the original stuff recorded live in some ghastly cavernous outdoor venue with the acoustics of a quarry.

leo49 23:22 12 Feb 2007

I think they were very much a group of their time - for me their music has dated badly. Can't remember the last time I dug out one their CDs.

I think Ricky Nelson summed up this whole reunion business in his song "Garden Party":

"I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends

A chance to share old memories and play our songs again

When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name

No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

...Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came

No one heard the music, we didn't look the same

........If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck

But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck"

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:23 12 Feb 2007

Sting owns a Jacobean mansion set in 800 aces of Wiltshire as well as palatial homes around the world. I would love to be in his financial dire straits.

G

Totally-braindead 23:25 12 Feb 2007

I would go see them. Sting still has a good voice so they wouldn't be aweful. I don't think they have dated as badly as some bands.

Belatucadrus 23:34 12 Feb 2007

Now they'd be worth watching, great guitar work never dates.

Snec 23:44 12 Feb 2007

I think it would be much sadder if they sat at home, alone with a computer, trying to think up new topics for an online forum. On the other hand I've never thought of them as brilliant either.

Bingalau 23:51 12 Feb 2007

Over to you KateB. ..Bingalau..

Forum Editor 23:56 12 Feb 2007

and certainly don't now.

Forum Editor 23:58 12 Feb 2007

By the time he recorded 'Garden party', he had moved on too - he was calling himself Rick instead of Ricky.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone