A sad day

Mr Mistoffelees 13:08 25 Jul 2009

Harry Patch has died.

From BBC News click here

johndrew 15:05 25 Jul 2009

A sad day in a hard life indeed. But how many of us will reach 111 years and have some peace and comfort in that time I wonder?

Bingalau 16:16 25 Jul 2009

This was a man who preached the futility of war. having experienced it first hand. He certainly knew what he was talking about.

DieSse 16:33 25 Jul 2009

"This was a man who preached the futility of war"

Was he right though? Was it really futile to prevent a Germanised and Fascist Western Europe twice in his lifetime. I think not.

Forum Editor 17:32 25 Jul 2009

war isn't futile if it puts a stop to some of the more evil things that some people are prone to try - genocide, for instance.

Bingalau 17:51 25 Jul 2009

But that's the futility of it because it didn't put a stop to the evil things did it? Two (civilised) peoples, killing each other at the whim of a few politians. "The more things change the more they stay the same".

Bingalau 17:52 25 Jul 2009

Should have run my spell checker over that shouldn't I?

DieSse 18:35 25 Jul 2009

"it didn't put a stop to the evil things did it?"

It put a stop to those two evil things!

It's possible other wars will be necessary to put a stop to other evil things.

DieSse 18:37 25 Jul 2009

"...at the whim of a few politians"

I think you may mean power hungry megalomaniacs.

Bingalau 18:47 25 Jul 2009

Whatever you like to call them they were still politicians running both countries. I know it was much later but even Winston Churchill recognised the futility of it all when he said "It is better to Jaw Jaw than to War War" or words to that effect.

DieSse 19:37 25 Jul 2009

"It is better to Jaw Jaw than to War War"

No-one could truly disagree with that - it still doesn't make all war futile, nor does it make all Jaw-jaw successful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?