That's Not a Pie

morddwyd 08:43 15 Apr 2010

I should have known better, but out to lunch and I thought "The venison pie looks good".

Of course, what arrived was not venison pie, but venison casserole with a piece of puff pastry, separately cooked, on top.

I've been caught before, and keep swearing that next that next time I'll complain to Trading Standards, but I never do!

By any definition "pie" is a dish where the pastry is put on top of the filling and the whole lot cooked together in one dish.

How long before we get stewed apple with a piece of pastry, or stewed rhubarb with a spoonful of crumble?

Grrrr! Rant over.

interzone55 08:54 15 Apr 2010

Pie's traditionally are meat, vegetables or fruit baked in a pastry case, but a pie can also refer to a casserole with a top-crust.

If the top-crust is made of savoury scone mix it's called a cobbler round these parts...

Quickbeam 08:58 15 Apr 2010

click here

They do it that way so it can be served quickly. The pie filling simmers away keeping warm over the serving period, and the pastry can be cooked in 10 minutes from frozen.

If done as a traditional large baked pie, the serving period is reduced as the pastry will go very dry on top, and very soggy beneath as the filling stews in a low oven. If you make individual pies and bake them fresh from chilled, it's no longer a quick meal as you'll be waiting 40+ minutes for your pie to be served, but it will be a better pie.

For a fantastically full flavoured steak pie, try this recipe click here I've been using it for 3 years now, never had anyone disappointed with it:)

BRYNIT 09:42 15 Apr 2010

Reading your post made me think of meat pies and the first two that came to mind was Cottage pie and shepherds pie both of these are covered with mashed potatoes and do not have any pastry at all.

dagbladet 10:58 15 Apr 2010

"I've been caught before, and keep swearing that next that next time I'll complain to Trading Standards..."

Oh you should. They'd be mortified.

Brumas 13:08 15 Apr 2010

I believe the way to tell the difference between the two is that a cottage has foundations i.e. a pastry base and shepherds pie doesn't.
Also I believe historically that cottage pie was made from minced beef and shepherds pie from minced lamb - what else!

Quickbeam 13:32 15 Apr 2010

Remember those big school dinner pies, the ones made the size of the playground? Well I reckon they had concrete foundations!

dagbladet 13:34 15 Apr 2010

"... I believe historically that cottage pie was made from minced beef and shepherds pie from minced lamb..."

That's it. Nothing else.

BRYNIT 13:44 15 Apr 2010

Brumas
Cottage pie has Minced Beef click here

Shepherds pie has Minced Lamb click here

No pastry at all. Its been years since I cooked either.

morddwyd 20:00 15 Apr 2010

"a pie can also refer to a casserole with a top-crust."

But the crust should be put on top of the casserole, and the two cooked together, at the same time, in the same dish.

"A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough shell that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredients. "

jack 20:22 15 Apr 2010

Home style cooking in a small establishment -pub or Cafe and the Commercial Chains which are factory prepared and and sent out for a quick microwave.

Even the king of profane cooks has been caught out with that one with pre-cooked food being 'White Vanned' around town.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?