Russia still doesn't trust the rest of us

TopCat® 18:15 15 Dec 2007

according to this - click here - and as we move close to another year into the twenty-first century I often wonder if they ever will.

In my opinion, this vast country has so much to offer to the rest of the world, apart from armaments that is, and I reckon it's about time they came in from the cold and freely joined in with the rest of humanity. One day perhaps, with a change of heart from the top people? TC.

Clapton is God 18:22 15 Dec 2007

"Russia still doesn't trust the rest of us"

And do you trust them??

I don't.

S5W 18:42 15 Dec 2007

"---- joined in with the rest of humanity." Which "rest of humanity" do you have in mind. This century is unlikely to be much different from all the previous centuries; wars, rumours of wars, starvation, genocides, all the usual human conditions. Russia will play the new Great Game just as it did in the nineteenth century and so shall we.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:44 15 Dec 2007

I don't particularly trust the British government (WMD etc) and there is no way that I would trust the American government, so I guess the Russians are spot on.

G

FungusBoggieman 19:12 15 Dec 2007

Sorry about the comment but in my opinion
SO WHAT

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 15 Dec 2007

Nobody trusts anybody else!

that's why we still have wars.

TopCat® 22:26 15 Dec 2007

either by individuals or, as in this case, by individual countries. This doesn't happen overnight so allowances should be made to let it happen.

Russia started to 'thaw' a little during the Gorbachev and Yeltsin periods of change. However, the speed of events left the uninformed people very doubtful and uncertain after seventy years of rigid communist rule. The changes and split up of the USSR should, in my humble opinion, have been phased in over time and not in the way it happened.

I also believe that while the present incumbents remain in office, it is they who will ensure Russia remains 'suspicious' of most other countries, and will stifle by all means possible, any attempts to fraternise with the West. TC.

Forum Editor 23:22 15 Dec 2007

and work with Russians you begin to realise just what a generation of living under a harsh communist regime has done to the collective psyche of the people. It still weighs heavily, and although the country is nominally democratic, it isn't the kind of democracy that you and I would recognise.

In order to understand Russians it's necessary to understand what they have been through, and what, in a different context, they are going through now. Deep down the people are no different from the rest of us, they want the same core values in their lives, and they are ready and willing to embrace materialism - but society isn't arranged for them any more. They're making it up for themselves, and inevitably in some areas the country is being divided into the haves and the have-nots.

There's an ingrained mistrust of western governments in general, and of the US government in particular, and that isn't about to disappear any day soon. It's a two-way traffic of course - I know many people in this country who instinctively mistrust Russia, and almost everyone I know in America feels that way.

In time it will all settle down, but nobody should start holding their breath - we're talking decades here.

Chegs ®™ 00:04 16 Dec 2007

It doesnt help the russians(or any other country)that "western" film-makers have always potrayed them as "the bad guys" be it political,or more recently as drug-barons or illicit weapons dealers.Despite it being fiction,such things create mistrust of "the others" and its not just in the UK as my mother in spain used to be the President of the residents committee and was always being "alerted" to a russians daily behaviour(be it walking his dog in a furtive manner or staggering home from the pub in a menacing way)The poor guy was actually very friendly as I had many stilted chats(I dont speak russian and his english was about as good as my russian)and was sorry to see him finally move elsewhere due to the behaviour towards him from some residents.

laurie53 09:36 16 Dec 2007

The Russians do tend to give plenty of warning, and while they may stab you in the back, you normally have some idea that something along these lines is likely to occur.

Western countries, on the other hand, including the UK and the US, will stab you in the back while shaking your hand with their other hand.

Cymro. 10:34 16 Dec 2007

I think the F.E. is on the right lines here. It really is a long term thing.
When you consider how things have on the whole improved over the last 60 years or so, just think how things may be in another 60 years. All this is given that there is some good will from all sides. As has been suggested it will probably take the Americans just as long to trust the Russians.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires