The rules of life and death

anskyber 20:42 12 Apr 2008

An interesting case, click here the wish of a once living daughter to see her mother receive a kidney from her was rejected in favour of the next person on the list after the daughters untimely death.

Should organ donation be able to be conditional that it goes first to a family member or is medical need and waiting list priority the best solution?

peg 20:50 12 Apr 2008

as it says in the article "a person cannot choose to whom their organ can be given when they die; nor can their family." it sounds harsh but i think it got to be adhered to.

anskyber 20:55 12 Apr 2008

Yes. I agree but the report says;

"She had also told her mother she would be prepared to be a "living donor", but had not begun the formal process."

We may never know if this is correct.....but if it is?

peg 21:00 12 Apr 2008

its a difficult one and it must be terrible for the mother i just hope she can take some comfort knowing her daughter has helped three other people.

bluto1 22:01 12 Apr 2008

How does one become a `Living Donor'?
We are a large family and quite obviously we would want our own to `benefit' first. Having said that, and knowing there's a law in place governing donorship I wonder if I'm being over selfish.

anskyber 22:07 12 Apr 2008

In effect you agree to give up a kidney (it's one of the few things you have two of) so that another, who can be a relative, will benefit.

spuds 22:14 12 Apr 2008

Medical science can be an harsh thing at times, and decision making either by coordinators, doctors or family members can have possible drawbacks at the moment of want or in the future.More so I suppose, if it concerns a family member.

I was reading an article the other week, regarding instructions of 'Do not resuscitate'. It is now under consideration as to whether a doctor or someone in a similar position as the legal authority to sanction this act.

Jak_1 22:19 12 Apr 2008

This may sound harsh but, the donor guidelines/rules state that where there is a match to more than one person then the person with the greatest/most urgent need gets priority. That I feel is the correct way. A living donor is an entirely different issue.
I carry my donor card in my wallet, have done for over 30 years, I don't care who gets any of my organs, they can be a martian for all I care. I would hate to think that someone was denied because any of my family objected to who the recipient of any of my organs go to.

WhiteTruckMan 00:02 13 Apr 2008

Having said that, are you also saying that you have no preference for an organ recipient between a total stranger and a loved one, maybe even a child? Because thats the sort of thing at stake in the original point.

WTM

Blackhat 00:32 13 Apr 2008

There is a priority list for a good reason. Those at the top are at deaths door, some die before a suitable donor is found. Would it have been prudent to ask the mother who she would choose to die so that she could jump the queue? I think not.

There are moral issues at the heart of this and that will always create debate but lives are also at risk.

Jak_1 01:34 13 Apr 2008

As far as I am concerned, the person with the greatest need can have my organs when I am gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?