Ruined roads

interzone55 16:49 05 Jul 2008

Here's a little challenge, try to find a reasonably long, 1/4 mile or so, stretch of road where the tarmac is all the same colour.

At the moment pretty much every major road around Rochdale has some form of roadworks, and despite the fact that utilities are supposed to return the road to it's original condition, they never do.

The road from Rochdale to Heywood is like a roller coaster in parts due to the number of wounds it's received from the gas, sewers, water & electrics work it's endured in the last couple of years...

day2strike 17:24 05 Jul 2008

Road near me was going to be closed so a gas main could be re-newed.
But the work was delayed whilst the road was re-tarmaced.
Fine everyone thought that the gas work would get done 1st, But no it was done afterwards before the new tarmac had even had a car driven over it!!

New tarmac now has a black line of about 3 foot by 40 foot on it!!!

wiz-king 17:29 05 Jul 2008

How about this then - our council had speed humps put along one of the local roads to try and slow down traffic because of the children going to the five schools in the road. Unfortunately the firm who were contracted to build the humps made them too high - about 2cm over the specified hight, so when some one pointed this out to the council they said 'we will lower them' so a few months later they resurfaced the road carefully missing the humps! Job sorted, the humps are now within the limits.

spuds 17:38 05 Jul 2008

The main road outside my property is concrete based. A couple of years ago, a utility company dug a rather large hole, then filled it in with hardcore complete with a tarmac surface. Over a period of a month a nice pothole surfaced, The council was not very pleased. The utility company or should I say their contractor had to return and complete the road back to its original concrete state.

When this was all going on, my outside wall became a viewing display for dislodged hubcaps.

spuds 17:44 05 Jul 2008

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a specified height for road humps.

In a two mile radius from my home, there is a variety of types and sizes, and one particular area there are some well known exhaust scrapers.Trying to tie the council down as to true specifications, is proving a slight embarrassment, possible due to insurance claims.

interzone55 17:50 05 Jul 2008

I checked about that with my local councillor - my street was dug up 367 days after it was relayed.

No road can be dug up by contractors within 12 months of being laid unless it's emergency works - which it always is - but your case does seem to be very weird...

interzone55 17:52 05 Jul 2008

As always google is your friend

From the Department of Transport web site
click here

Road Hump Dimensions

The only dimensions now constrained by the regulations are: maximum and minimum heights of 100mm and 25mm respectively; a minimum length of 900mm; and no vertical face to exceed 6mm in height.

It should be noted that the tolerances included in the 1990 Road Hump Regulations do not apply to the new regulations. So exceeding the 100mm height, without authorisation. So exceeding the 100mm height, without authorisation, would be likely to mean that Section 90E of Highways Act 1980 did not apply, with the result that the road hump could be viewed as an obstruction. (Humps constructed prior to the 1996 regulations will not be affected by this). Additionally it is not considered good practice to deliberately choose heights which are either higher or lower than those prescribed, on the grounds that the regulations would not then apply. This again would mean that Section 90E of the Highways Act would not apply with consequences for the highway authority in providing the device was not an obstruction.

spuds 18:19 05 Jul 2008

Thanks for the link, some interesting stuff there. Will have a full read later.

One reference to the Fire and Ambulance service as prompt my mind to seek further information. We had a part road closure due to a £3.3 million road improvement scheme. I queried this part road closure, and the expense in unnecessary wasteful work, which I suspect was one reason that made the project go over budget.Long story, but its set the timbers on fire again :O)

sunny staines 10:37 06 Jul 2008

down this way the problem is dangerous sunken drain hole covers about 80% are not level with the road and sunk by more than an inch or more.

jellyhead 12:12 06 Jul 2008

sunny staines, if you are in Staines, do you mean the one on the roundabout by the council offices bad in a car let alone a bike, motorised or peddle.

carver 12:35 06 Jul 2008

In Sheffield if the council puts speed bumps on a road they have to fill in the holes first to speed the traffic up, it seems that the council must have bought a truck load of yellow paint because every street you go on all the holes are now high lighted in yellow.

We had one road not very far from where I live completly resurfaced, about 1/4 mile long.

2 months later the road was dug up to lay a new drain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017