RSPCA What do you think?

Noels 16:12 31 May 2008

In "The Times" today it states that the RSPCA want to ban all schools keeping live animals, rabbits,guinea pigs,chickens etc.,because its cruel. Children should be taught using stuffed animals. Stuffed as in teddy bears.
They threaten to prosecute if necessary.
My understanding is that the RSPCA have very few powers and have to call in the police to do their dirty work.
In a thread about a week ago I asked if some groups have too much say. I didn't explain myself very clearly but with 60+million peopls in the UK. Organisations like the PSPCA should have very little clout with so few members.
What do you think.
Regards
Noels

pj123 16:25 31 May 2008

Where does it say that? Do you have a link?

I didn't think Schools kept live animals, it is the pupils who bring their own pets in.

DANZIG 16:30 31 May 2008

When I was at school, admittedly about 20 years ago now, we had some guinea pigs.

They were the most spoilt and loved things in the whole building - and when one of them died everyone was so down.

Earthsea 16:45 31 May 2008

Regardless of how many members it has, the RSPCA does a very important job very well, and I'm reluctant to criticise it in any way.

However, banning live animals from schools is a silly idea and allowing children hands on experience can only be a good thing. Maybe changes need to be made, but a ban is going too far.

Kids love animals, and alienating them from each other is neither beneficial for the child nor the welfare of animals in the long term.

Forum Editor 18:21 31 May 2008

between a daft idea being floated and its acceptance and enforcement. I very much doubt that this daft idea will cut much ice with the powers that be.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that everything everyone says is necessarily going to happen. The RSPCA is an excellent and highly-respected organisation, and over the years it has saved countless animals from suffering extreme cruelty at the hands of their owners/keepers. Now and again someone is going to go a bit too far however, and this is undoubtedly one of those occasions.

spuds 12:32 01 Jun 2008

The workings of the RSPCA are very complexed, as all or most large commercial enterprises are nowadays. After all it is now a business, run on commercial lines.

Your local RSPCA kennels are self funding and maintained, whereas the inspectorate side is funded from a large impressive central office, and where most subscribed donations end up.

If the RSPCA were to set-up a similar service in China, then they would have much bigger concerns than school or schoolchildren's pets.

One of the latest craze's in China is the 'designer' goldfish keyring. A small goldfish is confined to a small sealed plastic bag with a keyring attachments. Due to the bag being sealed, the goldfish as a very limited timespan. Then there is the food chain and how and what animals are used and killed. Then there are the various zoos, who cater for their paying customers in presenting certain gladiator acts. If the RSPCA were there, then they would have some very serious problems to overcome and perhaps attempted to solve.

Quickbeam 12:47 01 Jun 2008

We had a rural studies dept when I was at school. We had pigs, sheep, goats, chickens... no big beasts though. Quite a few went on into farming because of that dept.

Totally-braindead 13:02 01 Jun 2008

Stupid idea.

Dragon_Heart 23:57 02 Jun 2008

There's a world of difference between a daft idea being floated and its acceptance /
enforcement .... our MP's do it all the time !

For some 'school pets' are the only pets they see. Looking after them teaches responsibility and trust.

Our sons school is bidding to get special status to enable them to buy some local farmland and start keeping livestock like pigs, sheep, chickens and cattle ... I hope they get it.

The RSPCA has more important things to bother about than school pets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?