royal naval boat names

sunny staines 16:08 05 Mar 2007

just back from holiday saw naval exercise and watching the boats through the binoculars noticed they no longer seem to have the "HMS names" displayed but code numbers on the sides instead the gunboats begining with a "P" OR "M" and the bigger boats with a "D" followed by two or three numbers. Just curious if the names are removed during war times or not and does the letter relate to the type of boat. Any naval reader able to answer this one.

Jackcoms 16:25 05 Mar 2007

The Royal Navy does not sail 'boats', it sails ships.

Weekend sailors sail boats.

"if the names are removed during war times or not"

Yes, they are.

"does the letter relate to the type of boat"

No, it relates to the type of ship

Bingalau 16:33 05 Mar 2007

As an ex-Bootneck the only place I ever remember seeing the name of a Royal Naval Ship was on the Quarterdeck, or on the side of the bridge. Obviously removed in wartime as were name bands of ships on sailors hats. No doubt our ex-matelots will soon be on the job to explain all. There is a thing that annoys me with the press though and no doubt Kate B will have a say.... Why do they always call a ship of the Royal Navy "The HMS Thingamejig" when it is obvious it should be just "HMS Thingamejig"? HMS stands for Her Majesty's Ship. It just does not make any sense at all to call the ship "The Her Majesty's Ship Thingamejig". I believe it is o.k. to call the ship "The Thingamejig" but then it should be printed in italics.

Onizuka 16:33 05 Mar 2007

Jackcoms - you're forgetting that the Royal Navy does in fact drive "boats" - submarines are known as boats

Jackcoms 16:39 05 Mar 2007

"the Royal Navy does in fact drive "boats" - submarines are known as boats"

Perfectly correct, but sunny staines was referring to surface ships

The Brigadier 16:43 05 Mar 2007

Used to be "D" for Destroyer, but not sure these days.
Could be the type of sub-unit they come under.

Always thought RN boats were for big kids, bit like crap airlines for the RAF. he he.
Of course may be thats why we were always happy to jump out of them!!

Bingalau 16:47 05 Mar 2007

Just got to get this old joke in here. There are only two types of marines in the RN. Submarines and Royal Marines and they both carry matelots.. Bum-Bum...

SANTOS7 16:51 05 Mar 2007

click here

What you can see are PENNANT NUMBERS,to identify the class of warship..

The link gives you all the details..

Jackcoms 16:54 05 Mar 2007

click here scroll about 3/4 of the way down and RN ship classification letters are given

sunny staines 17:48 05 Mar 2007

Thanks everyone. the ships I saw must have been patrol boats mine sweepers and destroyers. I presume the names were rubbed out due to them probally having been to or to be sent to the persian gulf. would have been curious to have known the names though.

pj123 17:51 05 Mar 2007

Royal Navy "boats" ships have never had their names on the side. They only have pennant numbers.

I was on HMS Cossack with the number D57 (it was known locally as Heinz)

I was also on HMS Troubridge which was F09 and HMS Jamaica (C44). HMS Bramble (J273) an Algerine class minesweeper, although when I was on the Bramble it was engaged in the Cod War. It was on Fishery Protection service, based in Reykjavik.

Also HMS Belfast which is tied up in the Thames should have the number C35.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?