Royal Mint unveils coin designs

Blackhat 23:30 02 Apr 2008

Hmmm, I don’t pay too much attention to the designs on our coins but I think this design set is a bit awkward looking. Just my opinion though, anyone care to add comment?
click here

peg 23:48 02 Apr 2008

was not sure at first glance but I think i like them, unusual.

robgf 00:59 03 Apr 2008

I was watching an item about the new coins on the news. I thought that the new pound coin looked nice, but the others look a bit messy.

It is a clever idea though, how altogether they make up a coat of arms. It just doesn't work to well in practice.

wolfie3000 07:21 03 Apr 2008

I think they should either put $ signs on the new coins or maybe Karl Marx.

laurie53 07:28 03 Apr 2008

I wonder how much we, the taxpayers, paid for that load of old tat.

Even the design from which the various parts are taken is not original.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:01 03 Apr 2008

So long as they are legal tender they can have Donald Duck's head on them as far as I'm concerned.

G

BT 08:24 03 Apr 2008

There has been a discussion about removing Brittania from the 50p, but there have been loads of different designs on the 50p over the years. There are at least 11 listed on the Royal Mint site, mostly commemorative designs.

click here

Forum Editor 08:27 03 Apr 2008

with the designer - he's young and talented, and is obviously delighted with his £35,000 cheque and the fact that his work will appear on coins.

I think the new coins look just awful, however, and I can't imagine what possessed the Royal Mint advisory committee to go with them. It seems to me to be another example of wanting to appear to be trendy, just for the sake of it. If you don't care about such things you'll be blissfully unconcerned, but I care, because I think quality and style in such things is important, and reflects the way a society sees itself. Britannia has been on our coins since 1672, and I see no reason for arbitrarily dismissing her, just because a few bland, beige-wearing people felt she had more than a whiff of imperialism about her.

Quickbeam 08:34 03 Apr 2008

We don't want any Americans on our coinage. I'll settle for 'Parsley the Lion', rampant & proud... we have a long history of heraldic lions.

click here :))

interzone55 09:07 03 Apr 2008

I think it's quite a clever design.

One thing it instantly does away with is the arguments we have every time a new note is issued. Whichever historical person is chosen for the note, loads of people will complain that their favourite person wasn't chosen...

I hope they keep the commemorative 50p coins, they are usually very interesting

carver 09:38 03 Apr 2008

I totally agree with you, Britannia is a reminder of our past and we should be proud of her.

The new coins look as if they belong to a child's new toy cash machine.

It shouldn't be to long now before the idea comes up again about us adopting the euro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?