Royal Marines 350th Anniversary

Woolwell 13:45 12 May 2014
Answered

Apologies to those not interested but we do have a number of posters who have RM/Service connections. This year the Royal Marines have their 350th anniversary. Royal Navy RM 350. It is worthwhile attending some of the events just to hear the band. Not mentioned is the fact that 42 Commando are mounting guard at the Royal Palaces in London in June and July.

john bunyan 15:37 12 May 2014
Answer

Yes, formed in 1664 from the Trained Bands of the City of London, first called "The Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot"

Those who like military music will be pushed (late now)to get a ticket for the Beating Retreat on Horseguards on June 3rd - Massed bands of RM, USMS and RNMC.

john bunyan 19:36 07 Jun 2014

I did not manage to get to the Beating Retreat on Horseguards on 3rd. There were 5 RM bands , one from the USMC and one from the RNLMC. I hear it was fantastic - very disappointed it was not, as far a I know, on TV. The Trooping the Colour gets a full morning and as this was such a special occasion, one would have thought it would have been on BBC TV if only the next day. A friend who went mistakenly sat next to Boris Johnson and immediately behind Paddy Ashdown - whom he knew when Paddy was in a SF unit; My friend said that it was the best ever.

sunnystaines 21:01 07 Jun 2014

thans for the link

flycatcher1 10:38 08 Jun 2014

In 1946 our school was blessed with a new Geography Teacher, he was an ex Royal Marine Commando Captain. All the girls swooned and discipline markedly changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone