Royal Mail

m800afc 12:53 13 Sep 2008

I have read with interest the thread about Post Office closures. I regularly used the post office for my business banking etc.
I am now retired, so rarely see the inside of a post office. I still have cause for concern about Royal Mail deliveries, or non-deliveries. I purchase items fairly regularly on t'interweb. My postman, however does not like ringing doorbells, and so my mail is seldom delivered. I just get the usual red card saying delivery was not possible. The time the delivery was "attempted" is never filled in, and the item is not returned to the sorting office before it is closed to the public. On enquiring at the sorting office I am usually told that all undelivered packages are returned to the main sorting office in Manchester, which is not open to the public. The local sorting office does not have a manager to complain to, nor does it have a complaints line. Royal Mail do not deliver my packages, and I can do nothing about it. This situation has been going on for two and a half years, with no-one prepared to resolve the matter.
Is it any wonder therefore, that if I have a choice, I use another carrier. Royal Mail are losing trade because of their own incompetance. I am sure this is why trade customers are deserting Royal Mail in droves. Without a reliable commercial income, people will find small, local Post Offices closing at a greater rate than ever.
Soon, Royal Mail will only do "what it says on the tin", ie only deliver ROYAL Mail.

Si_L 13:37 13 Sep 2008

A note on the door asking the postman to ring the bell might be a start.

WhiteTruckMan 14:27 13 Sep 2008

What kind of brains does it take to be able to figure out the ringing of a doorbell without being told?

WTM

Miros 14:35 13 Sep 2008

Have a word with the sorting office manager at your local sorting office.

interzone55 14:39 13 Sep 2008

Any parcels that can't be delivered to my house are returned to the Rochdale depot, which is open from 7:30 in the morning for collections.

Surely you can also collect from the Manchester depot on Oldham Road. Unfortunately the Royal Mail web site is not very helpful on this matter...

peter99co 15:02 13 Sep 2008

I have had at some expense a Parcel Box fitted on the wall outside and a notice on the letterbox asks for the parcel to be left in the box.

It has a lock which they are asked to turn so that only I can get the parcel out.

The first time it was used I think I got a postman who was thick because he left it unlocked and all he needed to do was turn the lock 90 degrees clockwise. At least he closed the lid.

Si_L 15:27 13 Sep 2008

The standards are slipping, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Miros 15:40 13 Sep 2008

Sorry didn't read all of your posting. Can't believe there is no manager at your local office. How can they leave it unmanaged it would be open to all sorts of misdemeanors including theft.

Are you sure that you were correctly informed when you inquired?

peter99co 15:42 13 Sep 2008

Probably a Manager, just not one who you can complain to and get any any sensible result.

Miros 15:57 13 Sep 2008

I can only add that I had a problem with none delivery and as soon as I was aware I got in touch with the manager at our local post office, his action was swift and my satisfaction with the post office restored.

spuds 17:01 13 Sep 2008

I was informed by Royal Mail that instructions left on doors are to be ignored, due to data protection and safety reasons.

Nothing like having a note on the door saying "Sorry we are out, leave any items with the shifty looking bloke, standing at the end of the drive" ;o)

We have a written agreement with the Royal Mail about redirections, and this is posted on our property. On occasions there are relief casuals or holiday replacements who will not follow the agreement. Try complaining and its the usual excuses about lost instructions and company policies etc.

But having stated that, I find Post Watch are very good in providing advice and making the right contacts for complaints click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone