Royal Funeral to be held Sunday 22nd March 2015

Quickbeam 09:10 16 Mar 2015

...of Richard III that is.

It'll be quite interesting to see if he gets more mourners along the route than princess Diana did.

Forum Editor 11:44 17 Mar 2015

I doubt it - more than a million people turned out to line the route of Diana's funeral procession. Almost 33 million watched on TV in the UK, and an estimated 2 billion people worldwide.

I watched the ceremony on TV and then drove a few miles to watch the car with her coffin go up onto the M1 - there were tens of thousands of people on both sides of the road, many of them throwing flowers in front of and onto the car. I've never seen anything like it. One of my neighbours followed the police rolling road block for ten miles along the motorway.

wee eddie 11:58 17 Mar 2015

I wonder if you could posit a guess at the number of his peer group who might be present!

Belatucadrus 18:48 22 Mar 2015

For someone who's been dead for centuries and had a pretty lousy press afterwards, largely due to the efforts of one W Shakespeare esquire Richard 111 has managed a pretty good turn out. Clearly one thing hasn't changed since medieval times, having a King buried in the cathedral is good for business, back in the day it brought shed-loads of pilgrims to Worcester to see John. Leicester Cathedral visitor centre should be nearly as busy with Richard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 22 Mar 2015

and a "real villain" can be a better draw than a "good un"

although the Princes in the Tower has never been proved.

bumpkin 20:46 22 Mar 2015

spider, this is Richard III have you no respect for the dead. I won't be seeing you there then:-))

Belatucadrus 23:18 22 Mar 2015

"Total waste"

My point being that with the surprisingly high level of public interest at the event this is likely to be a nice little earner for Leicester and particularly the Cathedral. This is nothing new Cathedrals used to fight tooth and nail to get their hands on Royalty as it brings in the paying punters. Worcester had to promise lots of regular prayers for King Johns soul, along with burying him between two saints just to seal the deal.

LanceAlot 01:51 23 Mar 2015

I read somewhere his injuries were consistant with being chopped and hacked to death as he crawled away from his attacker.

Quickbeam 07:53 23 Mar 2015

Some video snippets of it on this page.

A splendid day for dressing up I thought, in particular the herald wearing RIII's house livery. That gave a true feel of the past.

morddwyd 08:04 23 Mar 2015

I still fail to understand why Richard of York is being re-interred in Leicester.

Since he was killed there he must hate the place!

Quickbeam 08:10 23 Mar 2015

Surely after 500 years the grudge should be buried as well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?