Rosslyn Chapel set for camera ban

dukeboxhero 15:14 20 Dec 2007

click here
The time i went to Rosslyn Chaple it was full of American, Chinnese, and German tourist who all had camaras and were snapping happily, i didnt see any fall over but maybe that was just a good day,
But asking people for £7 then telling them they cant take pictures i think is a bit much

bstb3 15:18 20 Dec 2007

but I bet they arent giving out free pictures of the chapel interior in the gift shop to compensate...

Bapou 15:22 20 Dec 2007

They don't mention anyone sued after a fall. I'll bet the fear of someone doing so will be the reason for the ban.

jakimo 15:36 20 Dec 2007

With all the £7 entry fees ,perhaps they could spent a little of it by carrying out some repairs

bstb3 15:40 20 Dec 2007

if anyone could succesfully sue for falling over while not paying proper attention then our legal system really has gone mad.

If I walk down the high street with my eyes closed, could I sue the council when I bang into a lamppost?

I bet they do worry about it though Bapou, sadly. I still think its an attempt to boost the takings at the gift shop though. The online site for the chapel sells prints for £300 a pop :/ (this could be for multiple reproductions though)

click here

Bingalau 15:44 20 Dec 2007

You can get into Liverpool's Cathedrals for nothing. Either of them. I am not religious but would recommend a visit of them to anyone in the area. Take a guided tour and slip the guide a few bob as well as putting cash in to the box near the entrance/exit. I was amazed to find that the Anglican Cathedral is made of sandstone from a local quarry and that not one stone is the same as another. The workmanship that has gone in to building these places is amazing.

Jak_1 15:57 20 Dec 2007

As a photographer I do see their point. With the advent of digital cameras holding over 100 pics+ on the cards, people do tend to use the screens rather than the viewfinder to take the shot. Doing this they have a tendency to walk around with their eyes on the screen clicking away obivious to what's in front of them and any uneven surfaces!
You will also find photography banned in many stately homes etc, this is due not the the National Trust trying to screw more pennies out of you for postards but the fact that the constant barrage of flashlights can damage fabrics and paintings etc.

DANZIG 16:20 20 Dec 2007

Also, in some places photography is banned as the articles in the house are the property of the queen (I'm led to believe). This happened to me when I visited Osbourne House on the Isle of Wight (Queen Victoria's favourite abode so I understand).

Stuartli 17:58 20 Dec 2007

I recall that back in 1966 I visited Westminster Abbey and was rudely warned not to take photographs.

The reason? I was expected to buy photographs in the abbey's souvenir outlet.

I thought the whole episode in such an environment a complete disgrace.

The donation that I would have made at the end of the visit would have certainly been far more than the cost of any photographs; as it was the donation stayed in my pocket and I still got a fair few photographs.

Forum Editor 19:32 20 Dec 2007

quite a lot, and every summer I'm intrigued to see the number of Japanese tourists who congregate around the Travel Bookshop and photograph each other in the doorway. They stand in the road and ignore the traffic, just to get a shot of themselves in front of the bookshop where Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant filmed those scenes.

laurie53 19:57 20 Dec 2007

As an ex-Health & Safety professional I am waiting for somebody to use the Freedom of Information Act to request sight of the risk assessment which has been used as the basis for some of these more bizarre decisions!

They would make interesting reading I'm sure!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017