Role models

Jim Thing 21:41 06 Aug 2008

I have a problem. I believe sincerely that suitable role models are among the most important influences on youngsters approaching adulthood. The current thread in this forum about teenagers and lack of respect started me thinking: if I still had children growing up, which of the people that are well-known to them through sport, music, television (or whatever else turns them on) would I be happy to think of as role models?

My problem is that I can't think of a single name at the moment. Can you?

MAJ 22:02 06 Aug 2008

That's all and good, Jim Thing, but the kids that have the propensity to be influenced by decent role models aren't the problem, they're usually fairly sensible in any case, it's the underage drinkers, druggies, hoodies and gang-members that are the problem.

Eargasm 22:02 06 Aug 2008

Joey Barton ?

interzone55 22:04 06 Aug 2008

He might not be the most interesting person, but Lewis Hamilton is a fantastic role model.

He's polite, not too flash with his cash, and in a short time has reached the highest pinnacle of his chosen sport.

(we'll ignore the tax exile status, there's a number of reasons why he's moved to Switzerland, and privacy is one of them.)

Jim Thing 22:12 06 Aug 2008

Fair enough — I'd overlooked Lewis Hamilton.

BTW, I'd quibble a bit about "in a short time..." As I understand it he's been racing since he was ten years old or younger.

Jim Thing 22:13 06 Aug 2008

Ho Ho...

Covergirl 22:21 06 Aug 2008

I think the hoodies, gang members etc will have their influences - the likes of Jay Zee, Dizzee Rascal, Ne Yo and all the other black hip hop and rap stars who for the most part appear to glorify guns, drugs, booty and gangs.

Personally I'm appalled that national Radio 1 promotes this stuff, only deleting the occasional swear word when necessary.

Back to the thread folks.

Jim Thing 22:22 06 Aug 2008

"...it's the underage drinkers, druggies, hoodies and gang-members that are the problem."

Aye, and they have role models aplenty. First one to come up with the name of a role model capable of turning those kids around gets to be prime minister.

Jim Thing 22:33 06 Aug 2008

I couldn't agree more.

Do you think we could get everyone who objects to having part of their licence fee pay for that kind of trash sign a petition to the BBC governors?

As a Seriously Wrinkled Person I don't pay a licence fee — but if I did...

MAJ 22:48 06 Aug 2008

........that's why I said "decent role models".

Jim Thing 23:03 06 Aug 2008

Point taken

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017