Rocking chairs...

Quickbeam 10:50 02 Dec 2007

After 40 years and two re-upholstery sessions, my favourite easy chair has died...RIP.

I've been looking all over the place for a worthy replacement, but can't find one. I want a cloth upholstered rocker (not a glider)... Anyone seen what I'm looking for anywhere?

v1asco 11:31 02 Dec 2007

try here

click here

or here

click here

Hope this helps

Clapton is God 11:31 02 Dec 2007

Antiques Roadshow? ;-)

Quickbeam 14:44 03 Dec 2007

Nothing I fancy on there bugle, what I want is a fully upholstered rocker. They seem to be out of fashion just now.

I might have to go to a custom maker to get what I want as the frame has split on my old one.

rossgolf 22:04 04 Dec 2007

cant u take the old one to a maker and ask him to build a replica?

Chegs ®™ 13:44 05 Dec 2007

I recall my father having a "rocking chair" years ago,the upper part of the chair with its rockers was mounted onto a lower frame and held inplace by 4 hefty springs.These eventually "lost" some of their strength resulting in the upper part frequently slipping off the lower frame and finally tearing the spring mounting points off.My Dad used to spend most weekend shopping trips wandering round the upholsterers looking for replacement webbing straps as those on the chair(had little metal ends that engaged in slots on the chair sides)would snap regularly,as due to his arthritis he couldnt lower himself gently into it.

Diemmess 19:45 05 Dec 2007

If you love it that much then face a third trip to a trusted upholsterer. Rocking chairs just do not seem to be the flavour of the day.

The result wont be cheap, but if he is a craftsman he will either repair or replace the broken part of the frame.

A chair that old will almost certainly lend itself to repair.

Chairs with minimal timber and GRP such as have been cobbled down to a price in the last 20 or so years have almost no chance of a new life.

Jak_1 21:05 05 Dec 2007

Ask Val Doonican for his :)

Quickbeam 01:12 06 Dec 2007

Yes, I think it will have to be repaired or copied by a craftsman. I'm quite surprised really that they are just not cool anymore.

There is nothing more relaxing than listening to the sounds of summer through an open door, rocking gently, sipping a smooth malt...

martjc 16:15 07 Dec 2007

...seems I've heard that word before somewhere ->sigh<-.

click here

Don't know if this helps you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?